Chapter 13: the awakened

As soon as I get back to Liv's room, all hell has broken loose. The heart monitors attached to her are beeping rapidly and she's sitting up in bed, her chest heaving.

Nothing stops me from instantly rushing over to her bed. The heart monitor spikes as her body seizes up as she lurches forward. A scream almost escapes her lips and I immediately take action. I wrap my arms around her and hold her tight so she won't fall apart. Liv's arms curl around my bicep as her head falls into the space in between her and my shoulder. Resting on it, she takes heavy breaths as she slows down her heart rate.

"Olivia. You're safe." I hold her against me and rock gently, trying to sooth her with my voice.

"Will, I don't know what's happening. Tell me what's happening please!" She cries, tears streaming down her face.
I turn towards the nurse and whisper.

"Where's the friend?"

"She left just before the patient woke up. It's after visiting hours now."

I nod and return my gaze back to Liv. She places a hand on my chest, opening and closing her fist. I hear her sniffle and I rub her hair gently.

"Can you tell me what you remember?"

She looks up at me, and I can see the tears lining the bottom of her eyelids. But she looks back down, shaking her head.

"Listen. I know you may not want to tell me what happened right now. But at some point you will have to."

Even though I already have a pretty good idea of what went down with Daniel, it's best to know all the details from that night, as painful as it will be for her.

I feel her shudder and snuggle into me. This genuinely scares her. But I understand. She doesn't want to face the man that caused her so much pain, put her in this position. But maybe I'm partly to blame.

"It's the only way to put this guy behind bars." I look down at Liv and she lifts her head weakly from mine. But I decide I should change the subject for a little bit. Calm her down. I lift my hand to her cheek and stroke it with my thumb.

Yes, I realize that this gesture seems pretty intimate, but it's the first thing I can think of off the top of my head to calm her.

"How are you feeling?"

She adjusts in the bed, her chest still heaving from trying to control her breathing. The nurses already left, probably knowing that I have all this under control. To be honest I don't know if I even have myself under control.

"I can't.. breathe." She heaves and grabs my wrist but I touch my hand to hers to calm her.

"Yes you had a collapsed lung. It might be a little hard to breathe for a while."