Chapter 4: the deal

Chapter 4: the deal

My head is pounding. Like someone is blasting Nickleback in my ear. My mouth is dry as if I haven't had water in days. I swallow, only my throat feels like sandpaper. I sit up from the cushy couch and look around the apartment. Was it just a dream? Like one of those weird drunk dreams that you have but it feels so real?

"Oh, you're awake."

Nope.

I groan and look to the side. The same man from last night is standing in the doorway of the hall. Wait.. did he sleep here last night?! There's no way I won't hesitate to kick him out if I need to.

He pushes off the wall and digs his hands in his pockets, strolling over to me. I notice he looks showered and his face is cleanly shaven. Please don't tell me he showered in MY bathroom. Does he even know the first thing about privacy?

"Before you ask, I slept on the couch. And I figured I'd let you sleep in. It's the least I can do since you didn't throw me out last night."

Yeah because I was too drunk to do it myself.

"Okay, mr. I'm gonna take advantage of this girl and stay in her apartment. You know what? You don't know me! I -ugh my head." I rub my forehead. Stupid hangovers seem so much worse the older you get. Maybe I'm just a lightweight.

"Okay, for the record, I didn't take advantage of you last night. You were wasted! I was afraid you were gonna fall or choke on your own vomit. I stayed up all night just to make sure nothing happened to you."

I study him intensely now. How the hell was he in prison? He seems like a completely innocent guy. Behind the stubble and unruly hair, there's definitely some attractiveness behind it, no doubt. Not that I'm focusing on that part or anything.

He grabs a chair and turns it around so he's straddling the back of it and rests on his elbows, facing me. I notice how blue his eyes are, but that isn't important right now.

"So... do you remember anything from last night?"

"Hmmm.. let's see.." I tap my chin, pretending to think, "you kind of broke into my house! Do you remember that now?!" I throw my arms up in the air in frustration.

He scratches the back of his neck. "Do you at least remember my name?"

I search hard through all my memories from last night. There are so many bits and pieces, but I don't exactly know where they all fit together.

Lexi was there and we listened to her demo. I remember that. It sounded pretty good.
I was drunk off myself until I heard a sound in the house. That was terrifying.
I saw him and-

"Will." I say staring off into space. His eyes brighten.

"you remember. But you never told me your name?"
He pauses, waiting for me to say something and I cough under my breath. I'm a little hesitant to even talk to him at the moment. I mean, for all I know, this guy could be my stalker or something.

"Olivia. Liv."

"Well, Liv." He emphasizes my name which makes me cringe a little, "I have a proposition for you."

Oh Lord.

"So.. I'm looking for a job. Soon."

I can't help but laugh on the inside. It's kinda hard to take him seriously with his messy mop of hair. I don't know who is going to give him a job with how unkempt he looks, not to be rude or anything.

"And I was wondering if I got enough money and cleaned myself up.."

I hope he's not saying what I think he's saying.

"I'd like to split the rent with you. Half and half. Fifty fifty."

I barely even give him a chance to finish before I rise from the couch and walk away from him.
"Are you serious? I don't even know you! You expect me to let you split the rent with me after I caught you sneaking around in MY apartment?"

"Okay, for the record, I didn't even know you lived here. To be honest.. this place is kind of a dum—"

"Finish that sentence and you will be on the concrete faster than you can blink." I point at him threateningly, and he holds up his hands in defense.

"Hey, if you think about it, you'll only have to pay half of what you pay now. You know.. if you let me split it with you." He gives me an almost puppy-dog eye look.

That's true. It would take off so much stress. If these seizures really are caused by stress in my life, there'd be less of a chance of me having one. I wouldn't have to worry about saving up as much money. Wait. Am I actually considering this?

"I don't even know you." I repeat this statement, hoping he'll get it through his thick skull.

"Well, if you give me a chance, we'll get to know each other better."

I ponder his proposition for a decent amount of time. This could go two ways. I could let him stay and possibly end up getting murdered and chopped to be kept in a freezer, or I could throw him out and keep having to pay the rent all by myself. Either way I might actually die.

I give him a small glare and he gives me an innocent smile. Yeah that's right. An ex-con gave me an innocent smile. I scoff, trying to hide a grin.

God, I know I'm going to regret this.

"You've got yourself a deal."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, but one condition."

He looks up at me, ready for me to talk.
"If you're going to get a job, you need to do something about that hair."

A/N: okay honestly, my writing is at a high right now

A/N: okay honestly, my writing is at a high right now. My mind is just FILLED with ideas. But anyways, what do you guys think of the book so far?

 But anyways, what do you guys think of the book so far?