Chapter 6: the interview

He taps on the desk with his fingers, the same glare from a few minutes ago. Nothing has really changed in the time that I walked in, sat down, and scooted my chair up to his desk as much as I wanted to. Hell, the way he's looking at me makes me happy that I'm a safe distance away from him.
I clear my throat and adjust the collar of my shirt before he breaks the silence.

"Hal Altman. Doctor Altman."
He holds out his hand and I reluctantly take it. He has a firm shake. But it's a split second before he yanks me forward a little so he's inches away from my face.

"I thought I put you in jail."

"I thought that was a year ago. I've done my time." I say quietly but with a little bit of threat in my tone. "And don't think that you're not a little bit guilty either."

"And what makes you think I'll give you a job here?"

"Because I'm determined to make sure that I live my life instead of living it in the past, such as you seem to be."

He crosses his arms and huffs, sinking back in his chair. I notice his white coat is hanging on his chair. He must not be on duty.

"Fine. But don't think that I'll take it easy on you. Especially this interview. If it's not easy for a normal person, it'll be hell for you, kid. "

That sounds like a challenge. And I'm ready for anything he'll ask me.

"Okay," I sit up straight in my chair, "have at it."

He gives me a glare and unfolds his arms, leaning forward on the desk.

"Why did you choose this profession?"

See, what he doesn't know, is I already have these kinds of questions prepared. This wasn't the first interview I'd been through.

" My father was a decorated army officer, and he wanted me to follow in his path. But I had a certain passion for the medical field. So I decided to pursue that instead. "

That's as far as I'll go. The last thing I want is to tell this guy some sob-story of my life. He raises his eyebrows, like he still wants to challenge me. How do ya like me now?

"What can you see for yourself in the near future?"

This one, I actually thought a lot about in prison. Of course, part of me didn't think I'd even have a good future once I got out. It was almost the truth that no one would want to hire a felon as easily as someone without a record. It was something I had to plan when I did get out. In case it isn't obvious, the plan hasn't worked out too hot.

"I see myself living. Not just by myself. I see joy. I see a woman in my life. She loves me, regardless of what mistakes I have made, regardless of my past. She lets me in, and let's all the ghosts go. I see kids. Yeah, a few of them. I see them jumping into my arms when I come home from a full days work. Maybe Working here. Or wherever life takes me."

His expression softens. Maybe that's a good sign. I think I might have actually broken some of the tough outer shell. Just the surface, which might have to be enough to get through to him.

"Why should I hire you?"

Ahh the toughey. I had to plan this one out long and hard, maybe even change my answer up a bit as time went on.

"I would be a good fit because your mission of putting the patient before everything else is exactly how I think all healthcare should be provided."

Doctor Altman clicks his tongue and rubs his forehead, letting out an exaggerated sigh. It's hard to read his expression. Whether he's annoyed, impressed, or maybe even both. After all, I can tell his opinion of me might have changed since I first got here. he rises from the chair and saunters over to me holding out his hand.

"Welcome to the team."

.......................................................................

"You're serious?" Liv exclaims, grabbing me by the arms. I only shrug and let out a relieved sigh.

"I mean, it wasn't easy, but I think I've finally gotten past a barrier here."

"But hey, the first job you interviewed must've been the gold. You should feel really proud of that. " Olivia slaps me on the shoulder lightly as we begin to walk towards the car, and we fall in step.

"Thanks.. but I think my boss will be a little tough to get through, that's for sure."

She scoffs. "But he must've seen something in you, Will. What were the chances that he would've hired you off of just knowing that you've been in prison?"

"Yeah I guess you're right."

We both get into the car and Liv starts the ignition. "You know what... I think we should celebrate tonight."

"Celebrate?"

"There's a party off campus today, and I was wondering if you would come. Sort of like a welcome to the neighborhood gathering. I mean, how long has it been since you've been to a party?"

Too long. Ever since I went to med school, it's was study study study. And the whole thing with Doctor Altman happened and that kind of put a whole pause on the party thing. Either way, it's been years.

"I'm in."

Authors note:Sorry this was kind of a short chapter but the next one is when things really take off *wink wink* vote and comment below!!!

Authors note:
Sorry this was kind of a short chapter but the next one is when things really take off *wink wink* vote and comment below!!!

Authors note:Sorry this was kind of a short chapter but the next one is when things really take off *wink wink* vote and comment below!!!