*28*

*unedited*
Hey guys, sorry I meant to update earlier but this Christmas 'break' has been anything but restful.
I will be focusing on this book over my others so hopefully updates will be more frequent.
Lucy xx

I was submerged deep beneath my duvet, relishing in the warm hug it offered me. A headache had developed overnight, a result of either crying or not sleeping due to worrying. Probably both.
My phone beeped and I reluctantly reached a hand onto the cool air of my bedroom and grabbed my phone. It was a reminder that had popped up.
Zoe's sweet 16
My calm, sleepy morning bubble popped suddenly. I was conflicted on how to feel as an album story appeared and started playing a video of photos of the two of us.
I smiled at the pre school and cringed at the high school photos. My already emotional state was enhanced by the emotional time playing in the background.
"Really?" I hugged as tears welled up and I turned off my phone, sighing deeply. I sat upright in bed, staring at the wall opposite me for about 5 minutes until my mom walked in with a tray of toast and hot chocolate.
"Morning sleepyhead."
I frowned and checked the clock groaning as it read 9:30.
"Mom, I've got training in half an hour, you have to be kidding. Why didn't you wake me up?!"
"You needed your rest. And I called up Holloway and they'll excuse you for half an hour. You'd best eat quickly and get a move on."
I smiled gratefully at her as I took the tray and scoffed the toast, gulping down the tea before rushing over to my closet.

*.         *.         *.  

Half an hour later I was throwing on my uniform jacket running late, as usual, when I knocked into my vanity. My jewellery box tumbled off the side and I winced as it hit the floor with a loud crash. I brushed off mom's concerned call and hurried to gather all the items back into the box. I had almost retrieved them all when I noticed a pale pink box tied with an aqua ribbon. I delicately picked it up and ,untying the ribbon, peeled inside. Nestled in a blanket of fluff was a delicate silver infinity ring, a small tag attached reading,
Dearest Zoe
Happy Sweet 16
So that we never forget our friendship
Love Phoebe xxx
I slumped on the floor defeatedly. I whipped out my phone and started typing a message to Zoe. Then I paused. What happened on the beach was exactly what Gabby was talking about when she said that Zoe was bad news. I deleted the message before I sent it.
However, my eyes widened as the grey dots appeared to mark Zoe typing. I held my breath until they disappeared and I shut off my phone, tossing the box carelessly to the ground.

*.        *.         *.  

As I rushed into the stables I chucked my bag into the cloakroom and rushed over to my horse.
"Hey buddy." I greeted him calmly. Behind me the door clicked open and i turned to see Alex standing there with a smile. He had an almost regretful look in his eyes. I understood why as Gaby followed behind him.
"Phoebe Wright. Late again." She rolled her eyes and I scrunched up my nose as I apologised sheepishly. Her features softened as she grinned. "No worries, you can stay later this afternoon."
I grimaced. Once she turned away I made known my anguish to Alex through the medium of various facial expressions. He just shook his head fondly.
"Come on Phoebe, you, me and Pin are going for a trek."
I halted my movements completely as Gaby called to me from outside.
You have got to be kidding me.

*.         *.           *. 

I spent the whole ride sulking. Gaby and Pin rode ahead of me, mostly due to the pathways being wide enough only for two horses. Partly because i didn't want to have to talk to Pin. What he'd done had hurt me but I couldn't get over him so soon. So my best tactic was to ignore him.
I was doing fine until my horse snorted in protest as I almost ran into Pin's horse.
"Dude, what are you- " I began to ask but a familiar voice cut me off.
"Oh hey Pin. Hi Phoebe." She was typing away on her phone as she walked, seemingly in a hurry.
"Sorry my heads in the clouds with Zoe's birthday party. Coming aren't you? You two lovebirds and of course being your friend too."
I leant forwards around Pin,
"Oh we're not dating."
Both Gaby and Maggie whopped round to look at me.
"Oh." Maggie replied awkwardly. Gaby just stared in barely concealed shock.
An awkward silence passed between the four of us until Gaby broke it.
"We'd love to come." She smiled.
"Great. Okay. Better go. Lots to do." Maggie replied. Before I could follow Gaby and Pin, Maggie stopped me in my tracks.
"Phoebe, I haven't seen you come over in a while. We all miss you." I smiled sadly at her.
"I'm sorry. I've been busy recently and things have been... strained between Zoe and I recently."
Maggie nodded thoughtfully.
"Your Mom and were talking about that. Since you started at Holloway you've not been so close. I just want you to know everyone has fights and it's not always the end of the world. Sometimes you have to remind yourself of what it is that really matters."
I nodded at her wise words, raising a hand in acknowledgment as she departed.
I managed to catch up with Pin and Gaby who's been chatting unaware.
"The problem with Marcus is, he's basically a good guy."
I could only imagine why they'd be talking about Marcus but before I could ponder too long Gaby chuckled sarcastically,
"A good guy? Ever wonder how you got caught stealing the cup from Holloway. It was Marcus who warned us. "
My jaw dropped in disbelief. Why would he do that. Maybe he wasn't such the perfect guy for Zoe. Despite our fall out She was my best friend. Sisters before misters, I suppose. And she had no one to warn her before she fell too hard.
I managed to squeeze past the two horses in front of me and gallop back to the stables, Gaby and Pin close on my heels.