It's Pouring | E.D.

Start from the beginning

     After a while of socializing with new people and sipping at your special beverage, your confidence had boosted and you were more than comfortable. "I'm going to head to the restroom, you coming?" Ailish asks, pointing to the stairs. "Uhm, no. I think I'll be okay down here." You smile, letting her know you'll be okay alone. She stayed a few more moments to make sure you were sure, and after she confirmed that it was alright she vanished. You usually weren't good at parties or human interaction but you were actually impressing yourself with your new found skills. As you were chatting with one of the girls by the name Claire, you saw a small group of boys walk in. Your eyes barely caught sight of one of them and your heart stopped. He looked just like your ex-boyfriend, but you hadn't seen him well enough to be sure. You blamed it on your slight intoxication and went back to your ongoing conversation.

     You hadn't run into Ailish in two or so hours, and you were still doing fine which shocked you completely. After seeing that your cup was once again bone dry you started the familiar path to the kitchen for a much-needed refill. The group of boys from earlier were crowded around the kitchen table playing a game of cards. Not wanting to interrupt their game you quietly looked through the different bottles for the yummy pink juice, but with no luck. "Need some help?" Lukes' voice asks from the table. "Yeah. Is there any more of that pink-" You start, turning to face him mid-sentence when your eyes landed perfectly on him. Your ex. The person you were in love with for so many years. He sat there with his eyes glued to his hand of cards, not wanting to make eye contact with you. "The stuff Ailish gave you?" Luke asks, clearly not seeing how distracted you were. "Yeah." You blurt, pulling your attention back to him. "I think she hid it in the dishwasher for you," he says, nodding toward it. You thanked him and quickly as you could, made your drink and went back into the party. 

     After seeing his face again for the first time in what seemed like forever, you wanted to be home. You wanted to change into more comfortable clothes and cuddle in your bed. Where is Ailish? "Hey, you." Ailish slurs, falling over onto your shoulder. She was hysterically laughing over nothing and using you as a crutch to support herself. "Ailish, we gotta go. Call Pete." You beg, trying to get her to look at you. "I already did, he's coming." She giggles, blowing the stench of her drink into your face. You scrunched your nose up and took her outside to wait, the sooner you left, the better. 

     You sat side by side on the porch swing until her brother's familiar blue car pulled up. "How wasted is she?" He asks, climbing up the steps to retrieve his sister who could barely stand on her own. "Very," you confirm, helping her to the car. Your heart sank as you saw he had brought his wife, daughter, and niece. There was no room for you. "If you want, I can drop her off and then come back and get you." He offers after getting her settled in the seat. "Oh no it's okay, I already called an uber." You lie, knowing it would take too long for him to return. "Okay, are you sure? It's no trouble." He says. You nodded and told him to get her home. 

     After the taillights of the car were no longer in your vision you checked your pockets for your wallet. You mentally cursed yourself as you remembered all your belongings, including your phone, were in the locked car you'd arrived in, and Ailish had the keys. "Damn it..." You mumble, knowing you'd have to go back into the house. Gathering up every amount of courage, you returned to the kitchen where he still was, playing cards. "Luke. Can I talk to you?" You ask, keeping your full attention on him. He nodded and followed you to the hall. You explained your situation and nodded. "Yeah, if you don't mind hanging around for a bit longer so I can finish the game. I'll take you home." He says and you nod. Although you wanted to leave now, it was your only option. 

     The game was taking longer than expected and it was bucketing rain outside. People had slowly started to leave and the only people really left at the party were the boys in the kitchen, including the one you were doing your very best to avoid. After the last person left from the den, you closed the door behind them and decided you'd just call Pete and ask him to come and get you. The game was far from over and you wanted to leave. "I found a ride. I'm going to head out, but thanks for letting me hang out. It was a lot of fun." you say to Luke, placing your hand on his shoulder. "Oh alright, well be safe and thank you for coming it was really nice to meet you," he says, standing up to hug you goodbye. You hugged him back and looked at the rest of the table, except him and said a quick goodbye.