When Wolves Descend (Chapter 2)

When Wolves Descend

Written By: Cara Davis

Chapter 3

I didn't think this was going to be so damn hard. Being nice is not my strong point. I like to say I am very... Honest.

 If you annoy me I'll let ya know it. But living in such a small town and being "Honest" isn't all that great. It's not as small as to where 'everyone knows everyone' and thank god for that, because that would make this a lot harder.

I didn't really make myself clear earlier as to why I want to be popular. I want to become class president. It looks good on college applications and if I'm to go to Harvard, like I planned, I need that extra something on there. I'm not quite sure yet, but I am considering joining a sport. It might help me make more friends.

You might find it strange, that I'm in high school and don't have any friends but I don't really mind. I'm just not a people person I guess.

When I was little, most kids made fun of me for having black hair. It was strange to them, to see someone with natural black hair. I'm half American Indian, I don't know what specifically because my dad died when Sammy and I were younger.

Mom doesn't know too much about it either. But we didn't live on a reservation and I think that was what separated us from everyone else. They were all light skinned and we were naturally tanned. It isn't a problem anymore because everyone is used to us. But it changed me. I suppose that is why I'm not a people person...

All the sudden I felt really warm. I looked up to see that the bonfire had started. I was sitting pretty close to it. There were a couple rows of logs set up around the fire and I was sitting in the first ring closest to it.

The whole party was set up in the woods, close to the mountain side. It's easy to get to from town because there's a car trail, and considering how many parties there are here, that doesn't surprise me.

But I don't understand why the Sherriff is letting them do this. Isn't he afraid of a forest fire?

"Seems dangerous huh?" said an unfamiliar male voice to my right. I turned to see a really cute tan boy, with black hair, and beautiful amber eyes there were glowing from the light of the fire.

"Yea I was just thinking that..." I replied with a small smile.

"It's not though, the Sherriff comes every Friday and puts a special fire resistant powder around the perimeter of the fire so that it stays contained." He said knowingly.

"Wow that's cool... How did you know?" I asked curiously.

"I started a fire, and got arrested. I had to take a class on fire safety. And as community service I helped pour the stuff around the pit." He casually stated.

What did he just say? Awkward way to start a conversation... Maybe he's trying to act like a badass?

"Oh..." I said speechless.

"Hey don't freak out. I thought you were gothic?" He asked.

"What the hell? Do I look gothic to you?!" I yelled.

He frowned and said "I'm sorry, but yea you kinda do. And Taylor told me-"

"Oh of course she did!!" I cut it. "She's just jealous of me. Don't ask me why because I couldn't tell ya! She's way prettier than I am so I don't know why she's trippin'." I said so quickly I wondered if he understood.

"No she's not" was all he said.

"I- Wait what?" I didn't understand what he was talking about.

"You said she's prettier than you, she's not. You're beautiful." He smiled at me.