When Wolves Descend (Chapter 4)

When Wolves Descend

Written By: Cara Davis

Chapter 4

"Sandy" A ghost like voice whispered.

"Sandy... Open your eyes Sandy." The voice said.

I slowly opened my eyes, to see the woods. But it wasn't the woods around our town. These woods were different; they seemed to be shrouded in mist.

"Where am I?" I asked the voice slightly disoriented.

"You are with me, my dear." The strange voice, which I now recognized to be deep and somewhat alluring, whispered.

"And who are you?" I questioned.

"Do you not recognize me?" He retorted. As he spoke the words, the black wolf from the caves materialized out of the mist.

"All I see is a wolf." I declared.

"And that is who I am, silly girl." The voice said again.

"Wolves don't talk though." I stated.

"And are my lips moving?" He questioned.

"Well, No." I answered. What a stupid question...

"Precisely, my dear... For you see, I am not actually talking. I am... in your mind." He stated matter of fact.

"What?" I asked totally confused, and kinda creeped out.

"You will not understand until later, but for now... do not fear." He told me.

"But... why are you here?" I asked still confused.

"To help you." Was all he said, and then he slowly started to disappear into the mist.

"Wait! Help me with what?" I shouted.

"I will see you soon my dear." With that the wolf disappeared completely, as did the misty woods.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

I woke up with a start.

"What is it Sandy?" Peter asked, face full of concern.

"Nothing... I just had the strangest dream..." I confessed.

I told Peter all about what I saw in the caves and what had just happened in my dream.

"Hmm... definitely strange..." Was all Peter said.

We were sitting inside my midnight blue Mustang, listening to the radio when I noticed the time on the clock.

"12:50?? Oh my god! I have to get home!" I exclaimed.

Oh man Mom is gonna KILL us.

"Where's my brother?" I asked while getting out of the car. I scanned the small crowd of people left. Peter told me that mostly everyone left when they found me. I guess I'm a party pooper.

"He left a little while after we found you Sandy." Peter said getting out of the car as well.

"What? With who?" I asked dumbfounded.

"Umm... With Taylor." Peter said softly.

"What!?" I yelled.

"I told him you would be mad, but he said 'she's just dropping me off, Sand won't be too mad'. I'm sorry." Peter said sadly.

"Don't worry. He isn't your problem... I'll beat him when I get home... I really gotta go though Peter. It was nice meeting you." I said with a grin.

"It was wonderful meeting you Sandy." Peter said matching my grin with one of his own.

I ran up to him and gave him a huge hug, and a kiss on the cheek. "That's for finding me." I said with a smirk.

His eyes widened and he said "Get lost some more then." He had a huge smile on his face.

I was opening the car door when a thought popped into my mind. "Hey Peter!" He turned back to me and bobbed his head as if to say 'what?'.

"When will I see you again?" I shouted.

"When school starts!" He shouted back. He turned and walked to his motorcycle.

When school starts? But that's on Wednesday!

"Hey Sandy! Wait up!" Max shouted to me as he ran up to my window.

I rolled down my window and said "Hey Max, thanks again for finding me. But I'm in a hurry, so I really gotta go." I smiled up at him.

"Oh that's all right. I was just wondering if you had any plans Monday night." He said sweetly.

"Plans? Nope, none. Why do you ask?" I questioned.

"Well" he chuckled a bit "I was wondering if you wanted to go have dinner, and maybe see a movie?" he politely asked.

Duh should have seen that coming... Geez I need to get in the game!

"Oh...Well I guess that would be Alright." I said with a smile.

Dinner and a movie with Mr. Popular... Should be good for me.

"Great, I'll pick you up at 8. How's that sound?" He asked.

Sounds like I have 2 guys... "Great" I said forcing smile.

"See you Monday." Max said with a grin and walked away.

Great. Max on Monday, and Peter on Wednesday. I kind of wish it was opposite. I started the engine and drove down the dirt trail towards town. Mom is going to kill me.