T W E N T Y 3

Imagine walking into school and seeing the prettiest girl you've ever seen sitting in class. Her hair is free of split ends and her face free of acne that most girls can't escape. You watch her for a few moments, tranced by how graciously she does the simplest things. You think:

"She's so lucky."

" I wish I was like her."

" Why can't I be the same?"

And you know deep in your heart that she's going to be the one that gets all the friends. You know she's the one that every guy will be falling for in a matter of seconds. 

This extremely true for Haeun. She used to be the miserable girl watching the pretty Mirae. No. Even before that, she was a loner.

Now she was the one everyone envied. She was the " perfect" girl, who had all the friends.

But in reality, those girls that were as good looking as her weren't even her friends. The guys that fell for her mattered to her the least.

Why?

Well, what's to expect from a world that puts visuals first before anything else?

•••

Haeun watched the sun's rays illuminate the pale blue sky, inviting in waves of warmth into the classroom. She felt like a cat, leaning into the sun's rays. Her eyes felt droopy and soon enough her eyes were shut by the hands of sleep

" Haeun,"

" Ehem, Haeun,"

" Mr.Kim, wake up. I have something to discuss with you." the sound of the teacher's voice brought Hauen back to life. She yawned and pulled her head up to see the math teacher staring her down with a workbook in his hand.

Another day.

  " Haeun, as you know the midterms are coming and you understand that I make my tests hard right?" The teacher asks carefully.

Haeun nods her head.

" I know you're a smart girl, and that's the reason why I assigned you to tutor Jungkook. But his grades don't seem to be getting better."

"Well, isn't it his own fault for failing? You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." Haeun could only shrug.

" Yes but, Haeun. You know that you can only get your credits once Jungkook gets a passing score right? That's the whole point."

Haeun freezes and gives her teacher a dead stare.

•••

After getting out of the retched math class, Haeun walks into the bathroom, winking at herself in the mirror and pulling out her almost empty tube of scarlet red lip tint. She pulls the wand out and swipes the gloss onto her lips before carefully spreading it around until her lips give off a saturated red hue.

Midterms were coming up Haeun couldn't help but feel a knot in her stomach. Not for herself exactly, but for Jeon Jungkook.