Chapter 41

Two months later...

"You still haven't heard from him," Nadirah asked over FaceTime

Layla shook her head slowly. "I still don't know what happened. Nobody knows."

"I mean it took Jace a few days to get home but eventually he did," Kam slided in. "Nobody knows where Rell is. Not even Adonis."

Layla fought to hold the tears back. She was silent for a while then she cleared her throat. "Y'all think he left me for good or something bad happened?"

"Layla stop," Nadirah interjected. "That man loves you okay. There has to be a reason why he hasn't come back yet."

Layla sighed out loud. It was more than two months since the incident and Layla and Maddison were still in St. Thomas with her father. She hadn't heard from Rell since the morning of the incident.

Layla contacted everyone she knew that might have an idea on where Rell was— Adonis, Drew, Jace, Dembe and even his lawyer Jew. Nobody knew anything. According to them, they all hid for a few days laying low and then all returned home. Jace said that Rell even alerted his pilot to come back to LA for him so he could fly down to St. Thomas.

"Maaaa," Maddison screamed.

"Yessss," Layla screamed back.

"Y'all a mess I swear," Kam laughed.

Maddison came running outside to Layla. When she saw the computer she popped her head in. "Dada?"

"No dada still working baby," she said kissing her forehead. The sad expression on Maddison's face was evident. "Imma call y'all later okay?"

Layla picked up Maddison. "Where papa?"

"In the kitchen."

When Layla entered the kitchen her father was frying some plantain. "You know you not suppose to be lifting her."

Layla placed her down. "I'm sorry dad."

"How are you today?"

Layla shrugged. "Just trying to make it you know. Gotta be strong for all of us."

Maddison danced around Layla's feet, "you wanna go beach today Mads or the pool?"

"Poooollll," she screamed.

Maddison loved the beach but was not a fan of the mosquitoes and sand flies. "Dad wanna grill some food?"

"Already got the hamburger meat out."

Layla took Madison's hand and walked her to their room. "What you wanna wear?"

"This," Maddison said pulling out the first bathing suit.

"Okay go put it on."

Since it was only her and Maddison, she decided they could share rooms. There were times when Layla would get so lonely and she was grateful to have Maddison by her side.