Chapter 22 》"Someone to close his heart"

I follow Michael into school, wishing that Christmas break wouldn't have ended. It's the first day back, and even though everyone is dragging ass because they don't want to be here, I especially don't want to be here. I could probably win an award for dragging ass at this point.

Michael heads in the direction of our lockers, but I don't follow. I go in the opposite direction, towards Mrs. Webbs office. I wasn't messing around when I said getting a schedule change was the first thing I was doing.

The door is open so I lightly knock as I walk in. I take a deep breath, Mrs. Webb doesn't exactly like me so I need to be on my best behavior.

"Good morning, Mrs. Webb! How was your Christmas break?" I try my hardest to sound polite and enthusiastic. Unfortunately for me, she doesn't look thrilled to see me. She scowls at my presence, but I don't let my fake smile falter, I have to win this time.

"It was fine, Norah. Is there something you need already?" 

"Yes, there is. I'd like to transfer into a different class." I remember the fit I threw at the beginning of the year, how I begged Mrs. Webb to put me in any other class. If she thought I was desperate then, she's in for a treat this time. At the beginning of the year, Calum came in here with me so I could try to get out of that class. I almost wonder if he would still do that now. I mean, he's still the sole reason that I want to transfer out, but things have definitely changed between us since then.

"Why is that?" She asks. Here we go.

"I tried it out, and it's just not working for me." I shrug, maintaining my fake politeness.

"Norah," She lets out an exasperated sigh and I know that I'm not going to win. "It's your senior year, you only have one semester left. Your GPA is thriving. I wouldn't risk switching into a different class at this point in the school year." She explains carefully. 

"I am willing to risk my GPA to get out of there." I let my smile fall.

"What's so wrong with it, dear?" I can tell that she's actually genuinely concerned for once, so I decide to not be an ass. 

"Well, for one the exercise is a bit problematic for me." I chuckle, taking a deep sigh. "Also, I had a falling out with my partner." 

"Wanna talk about it?" She offers politely. 

"I was just dumb enough to fall for someone who acts like a child and doesn't feel the same. That's all." I hope she'll move on from the subject, I'd rather get punched than talk about Calum, even though all I do is think about him.

"Um, well... I think that it would be a good idea for you to talk to your partner and try to work things out. You're not going to get anywhere in life if you constantly run from your problems. Also, I just don't think it's a good decision to switch classes at this point in the school year. I'd hate to see you lose valedictorian. I would advise that you stay, okay?" I'm initially pissed by her response, but the more I think about it, she's probably right. As long as Michael is my brother, Calum will probably be around. Especially if their band gets as big as they are hoping for, I might have to deal with him for the rest of my life. 

Shit. 

"Okay." I huff, disappointed in myself for not being more firm. What can I say, Calum Hood is my weakness.

"Okay." She smiles softly. "Come back if you need to talk, hon." 

I nod politely, leaving to head to my first class. I may have to take her up on that offer sometime.

》》》》》

I spent my first day back at school contemplating how to tackle this issue of Calum during last period. I never came up with a solution. So now I'm staring at the double doors to the gym before weightlifting, wishing that I had the magic ability to set this place on fire with my eyes.