Chapter 12 》"But it ain't me, babe."

Calum and I hadn't talked at all since what went down in my room the morning after the party. Unfortunately, I've had to work out with him every day. The good thing is that we have silently made a mutual agreement to not speak to each other. It's awkward as hell though, considering we stay after together, and then he gives me a ride home. We've spent the week wordlessly doing all of this. We don't even make eye contact.

 I can't look at him the same knowing that I kissed him and he stole my underwear. The question that's been bothering me is why? We both hate each other endlessly, so why would I feel the need to kiss him, and why would he feel the need to steal my panties. Not only that, but he took care of me while I was drunk. I don't understand how we were taking so much pleasure from the other, knowing that we are enemies.

Why?

I drop my cell phone into Coach Perry's designated container for student phones on my way into the gym and take my normal seat on the bleachers. Not long after, the boys pile in, obnoxious as usual. The take their normal seat next to me, and Calum sits the furthest away so that Luke, Michael and Ashton are in between us. Fine by me. 

Shortly after the bell rings, Coach Perry saunters in wearing a yellow tracksuit. He must've been going for a more bold look today. 

"Good afternoon, children." He greets sarcastically, flipping through his clipboard to take attendance. "Since it's Friday, and I'm tired of watching you kids drag ass trying to exercise, I've decided that we'll take a break from training for the competition."

If there were ever a time that I doubted God, I take it back. He is answering everything I prayed for today. Apparently a majority of the class has a similar reaction because a chorus of 'hell yeahs's' erupt from the students.

"But, it's no free period, we need to maintain our athletic ability."

God must be pranking me.

"How does a good game of competitive volleyball sound?" Coach Perry grins and I die a little more on the inside.

Everyone in here is excited and cheering, all with the exception of myself. I think I've mentioned before how competition and athleticism aren't my strong points.

"Alright, settle down!" Coach Perry booms out, and the gym immediately goes silent. "Team captains. Let's see here, how about... Hemmings and... Hood."

Luke and Calum hop up from the bleachers, high fiving each other. I, however, sink further into my seat, wishing that the bleachers would open up and swallow me whole. Here is the problem with this situation: Luke and Calum are team captains, which means that they choose who they want on their team. Luke would never choose me, and Calum... well he wouldn't either to put it in simple terms. 

"Hood, I like you better. You pick first." Perry says, nodding in approval for the boys to begin choosing their team. Well, I guess rock paper scissors isn't valued around here, at least he's honest about his favoritism.

"Ash." That makes sense. If I were Calum, I would pick Ashton first too. Luke scowls at Calum for taking Ashton.

"Eh... Michael." Luke knows that he needs to choose my brother. It's only fair. Michael may not be very athletic but he isn't completely awful at things like volleyball. That's where he and I are different.

Calum and Luke continue to battle each other by picking the most athletic students for their teams, and eventually there are about three people left. I am one, and the other two have similar athletic abilities to mine. Luke reluctantly picks one, and then it's just me and this other girl.

Calum scowls at his options, and I'm willing to bet that the only thing going through his mind right now is winning a game of volleyball.

"I'll take Michael's sister." Oh. I'm just Michael's sister now. Not Norah. Not even Mary? That was a low blow.