Chapter Twenty Five

"If you don't let me rise as leader. I will throw you into the fire. I can repeat that if you'd like." He snarled, Redstar was crouching low and on the ground, coughing and stains of scarlet red blood was on his pelt.

"Sagefoot, I knew you were up to no good!" Smoke was rising in the air again. As Sagefoot turned, Windsplash leaped in the air right onto him, her claws by the side of his body. She raked them down long and hard. He wriggled away, coldness long in his gaze.

"You'll never win! I won last time! Everyone believed me about that fox! You knew that so you never even tried to interfere!" cackled Sagefoot. Windsplash faced him, anger tensing in her muscles. She growled.

"All those dreams I had about spilling blood. It'll finally come true. I can't wait to taste yours, especially. I'll save Marshclaw's for later. You fox-brains." Windsplash narrowed her eyes, the anger overwhelmed her.

She skidded underneath Sagefoot, kicking his underbelly with such force he fel slightly. He let out a growl of pain. He retaliated by managing to scrape her shoulder.

"So painful." She mocked.

Sagefoot growled. "Only you'd know what pain feels like. I've made you feel it before, and I'll make you feel it again."

Redstar watched, horror in his eyes. Windsplash leaped for his neck, she tackled him to the ground by kicking her legs into his flank. Windsplash pinned him, but Sagefoot slid, making Windsplash roll around with him for a minute. He bit her shoulder and she bit a large chunk of his ears.

Windsplash saw the bleeding pour down his face, blocking his vision. Windsplash was panting. She had pinned him sucessfully. Sagefoot wriggled.

"You fool!" He laughed. "Your bite wont be strong enough to kill me."

"Watch me." Windsplash mewed. She ducked down and bit him long and hard in the neck. She felt the blood of his rush through her veins. In her grip, she slowly felt Sagefoot go limp. She stepped away, letting the blood of his stain the forest floor.

She hopped over to Redstar, her heart aching. "Believe me now?" She said, amusingly.

Redstar let a weak smile out. "I told Sagefoot I was on my last life. I regret it..."

"It's not your fault." Windsplash mewed. "Also, you'd be happy to know all your kits are safe."

Redstar looked weak. "I'm losing my last life to this smoke."

Sudden grief went through Windsplash. "W-What!? I killed Sagefoot- you can't die now! I need to deal with Marshclaw!" then the tears came, she crouched down to touch Redstars nose longingly.

"There's one more thing I want to do before I leave this world into StarClan."

Windsplash urged him to go on.

"I was wrong about Sagefoot. Very wrong. You were right.. and now.. I feel incredibly bad."

"I know you do not have an apprentice, but I want you to take good care of Mistkit as an apprentice. Windsplash, I-"

"I strip Sagefoot of his deputy position. He's no longer the deputy. Windsplash, you.. you're the new deputy. You'll lead MapleClan well."

Windsplash felt horror go through her, her leading?

Redstar wasn't finished there. His voice was croaky. "I-I had a vision, when I was a kit. I knew I was going to become leader and it was the most long wait of my life.. I learned to grow patient. When I did, I went accomplished. I had everything I wanted, mate, kits, leadership.. but.. in that specific vision- I saw a white she-cat, she was above me, watching. I know from this moment now, it was you, Windsplash. You are destined to be leader. That's what your visions meant."

Windsplash felt shock jolt her body. Redstar slowly closed his eyes. "I know you won't let MapleClan down." His eyes went dull and his face planted softly onto the ground. His body was limp.

Windsplash felt her insides shake. She was deputy. Sagefoot was dead. This was her dream. Marshclaw's next. She thought.

She threw Sagefoot's body into the fire, the most satisfying moment of her life. I- I can't believe he was ever a MapleClan cat. She gulped. She ran over to Redstar's body, clenching his tail softly in her teeth. The smoke had directed away, but yet it was enough to kill Redstar. He was older and more vulnerable. I-I.. I'm in shock.

She ran, for what seemed like ages, through the smoke-filled MapleClan territory. Redstar died outside MapleClan camp. I can't believe it.

She felt sad as she padded towards her clanmates, all resting on the moors of RoseClan for safety. Poppystar had given permission. She presumed.

Horror in her clanmates faces lit up as she dropped Redstar's body by her paws.

"I did not kill him. Sagefoot did." Windsplash said. "He told me before my death, I was to become the new deputy."

Clanmates cheered, but also looked down sadly at Redstar's body.

"Redstar was a wise and noble leader. He knew where he was putting his paws. He was also very humorous at times and he learned to live his life, patiently. He was a brilliant MapleClan leader, and may he never be forgotten. I will always think of him during my leadership." Windsplash spoke, her clanmates nodding in agreement with her.

"I would like his family to come over here and grieve in peace, while we wait for the fire to finish." Windsplash said, her voice low.

I'm going to become leader and I know the first thing I'll do. It's for the greater good of MapleClan. I can't wait until I tell my clan.