Chapter Twenty

It had been a moon since Windsplash told Redstar about Sagefoot. Windsplash was relieved she got it off her chest, but also could not meet Redstar's eyes when she saw him.

Windsplash during nights, she thought deeply a lot. She really worried for herself, after all, her reasoning to perhaps make Redstar believe that Sagefoot was a murderer was foiled. Sagefoot was deputy, and she couldn't let this happen any longer.

Slowly, the leaf-bare got colder. Prey was hiding and getting more hard to find, however, Sagefoot hadn't tried anything yet that Windsplash knew of. This made Windsplash somewhat thankful, but she was always tense when Sagefoot asked her to go on patrol. Sometimes she could feel Redstar's gaze burning into her back.

"Pebblecreek is having her kits!" Rockwind, her mate, suddenly yelled. Rosewillow gave birth yesterday to Moonkit, a pale gray she-cat, Hailkit, a pale gray and white tom and Breezekit, a black tom. Windsplash had to admit they were really cute.

"Rockwind stay calm." Owlnose instructed. "Be helpful and get me a stick for the process later on."

Rockwind huffed. He went bolting away out of the entrance and skimmed around in the faint snowy grass and found a decently large stick.

Pebblecreek wailed in agony, clearly not calm. Firmly enough, Rosewillow was fairly calm but Larksong wasn't. He was pacing around outside, but Rockwind was taking it onto a new level.

Owlnose sighed. "Okay, Pebblecreek, push when I say, calm yourself. If you need them, I'll give you poppy seeds to ease the shock of this event."

A few moments passed of Pebblecreek panting in pain, soon Owlnose jumped up. "Push! Bite this stick as hard as you can as if it were an attacker coming for your newborn kits!" Owlnose mewed. A sigh of relief coming from him when Pebblecreek calmed.

"Okay, it's a she-cat and a tom." He inspected them thoroughly. "Give the toms coat a long lick, he seems much more colder than the she-cat." He advised.

Pebblecreek did as she was told, giving the toms pelt a desperate lick. He let out a mewl and Owlnose smiled.

"Thank StarClan, he's okay." Owlnose looked down. "Rockwind, you may come in and help her name them if you wish."

Rockwind dashed in, sitting down with Pebblecreek. "The she-cat should definitely be Rainkit. Her silver tabby pelt is so smooth."

Rockwind nodded in agreement. "Can I name the tom?"

"Yes!" Pebblecreek had mewed. Windsplash knew she wasn't meant to listen in but she couldn't help it, she loved kits.

I'll probably visit Moonkit, Hailkit and Breezekit tomorrow. Seeing this makes me want to play with them but they're too young. She thought.

"Sootkit for the tom. Took me a moment, and I wanted to think of another but it just suites him, especially with the black pelt." Rockwind concluded. Pebblecreek had purred intensely.

Windsplash had turned away, as she heard two voices, seemingly arguing. She flicked her ears and padded closer to the voices.

"You love her and not me!" It was the soft voice of Mistyrose, shouting, tears welling from her eyes. Windsplash saw them ahead of her directly.

"Oh? And I'm sorry you never loved me in the first place!" She was arguing with Robinears, wasn't that her mate?

"I did! I tried, but it was always me! Never you. You'd never listen. It never worked. You never really loved me. You ignored me and set your eyes upon her!" Fury glazed in her eyes, harshly burning through his soul. "She looks similar to me, doesn't she? Doesn't she? That's the reason why you love her?"

"Would you shut your muzzle and give me time to explain?" Robinears growled back, inching closer to her. "For a start. You knew it was never going to work in the first place, but you insisted on us carrying forward and having kits. I don't know if you ever noticed but we lacked love compared to other cats. That's why I can't love you anymore. I don't feel this is working, Rainpoppy and I, there's something that clicked between us. That's love. Not this." Robinears growled and stalked off in the direction of his son.

Poor Jaypaw had watched the whole thing between his parents. Tears dripped from his eyes but as his father pushed him out the way, there was determination in his eyes. He stalked over to Mistyrose, his mother and let her rest her muzzle on his shoulder. She sobbed, and Jaypaw sighed.

"He wasn't worth your time, I'm telling you." said Jaypaw to his mother.

Windsplash had to admit, she was touched by the moment between a mother and son. She saw Jaypaw's geniune look of reassurance. No doubt he'll make an excellent warrior.