Chapter Twenty Two

It had been about a week since the conversation with Redstar. Time passed so quickly, however the seasons didn't. Even though it is reaching to the end of leaf-bare, the snow still went high and temperatures were chilly. The skies were gray and overcast and the air was frozen. As she shivered, she could feel Skywing press against her reassuringly, and for warmth.

As it had been a couple of moons, Rosewillow's kits and Pebblecreek's kits played very happily. They were both very talkative litters, and loved games. Windsplash admired Hailkit specifically as he was the most hyper out of the bunch, but yet, he still managed to keep his manners and stay mature during a conversation with some form of older cat.

Moonkit was reserved and calm. Around her littermates and other kits she was happy, and somewhat giddy, but around older cats, she would shy away. She used to do that to Windsplash a lot, but she opened up the two were on good terms.

Breezekit, he was short-tempered and competitive, also a bit picky, but Windsplash believes he'll grow out of it. He had another side to him. If you're on the right topic with him, he would be the most chatty cat you'd know!

Windsplash enjoys talking to her kin. She feels not quite ready to have kits herself yet, although. Skywing had a discussion about it a couple of days ago with her.

"If you're ready to have kits, then I'm ready. I'll be the best father I can. If you're not ready, then I'm not ready. I'll wait."

She remembered his words clearly and had to thank him so much for understanding her.

"I'm glad you're in on this whenever, Skywing. It makes me comfortable. After all, things like Mistyrose and Robinears relationship didn't work, but ours can, if we both try."

Windsplash had remembered her own words also. The conversation was a bit on the funny side - she had to admit it was slightly weird, but Skywing understood and that's all that mattered to her.

She looked around the snowy MapleClan camp. Ahead, Robinears and Rainpoppy walked, happiness flooding their gazes. Mistyrose watched silently in the background, biting her tongue to say nothing it looked like. It really took the toll on Mistyrose that Robinears wanted to be with Rainpoppy. But does she like Rainpoppy?

Windsplash didn't know and felt rude to be watching so she didn't any longer. Whitedawn and Alderbreeze walked through the snow, also happy. Whitedawn's pelt really had blended into the snow.

. . .

Windsplash was walking through the maple forest. She thought nothing of it, just for some fresh air. It had been a long time since she was outside of camp alone, and she had to admit, she missed it. She was so paranoid of Sagefoot, and all she could do was hope.

Her paws were sore from the cold in the snow, but she'd check up later with Owlnose to make sure everything was alright. She tasted the air, and the fresh smell of it overwhelmed her. But then, with a jolt of alarm, she smelled something else.

"Fox!" She shrieked, jumping up into the nearest tree. The fox bared its fangs and left in a minute, from behind emerged Sagefoot.

What I feared for a long time. She gulped. Is now coming to life.

Sagefoot smirked. "My beautiful daughter." He said, a teasing tone to his voice. "You never told me that you saw me kill Dawnsong."

"Why would I? I'd only be next, you murderer." Windsplash said, trying to resist the urge to jump on him and pin him from the tree. It was risky, he'd be too strong.

"Smart.." Sagefoot smirked once more. "But not enough - because now you know I did find out."

"However, you were a good warrior and kept it to yourself. Thinking that no-one would believe you, and you were right!" He erupted into a howl of laughter. "So much for trying to be a little hero."

"You fox-brained fool." Windsplash muttered frustratingly. "You should think before you speak-"

"Hah? Why? - Especially when I know I am right!" He said once more, laughing again, a smirk on his face as he slowly watched her tense up and get mad.

"Because. I know now this is my destiny. I was sent a message from StarClan. You'll never win, Sagefoot. Nice try." She said, for once acting threatening. She curled her lip at him.

"O' StarClan? The little tales?" Sagefoot cackled once more, a cough followed it afterwards. He stood straight. "What are they going to do, stop me?"

"Yes." Windsplash mewed, staring at him, everlastingly. How dare he underestimate the power of StarClan?

Sagefoot shook his head. "You can only believe so much tales, Windsplash. I'm deputy now and you can't do anything." He mewed.

"Marshclaw should of infected your prey when he could." Sagefoot mewed, quickly realising what he said. He shrugged but looked a tiny bit on end after that.

"He's Marshclaw now? And you have something to do with him, don't you?" Windsplash asked, horror clouding her.

"Yeah, well done, you figured it out! I bet you Dawnsong would congratulate you." Sagefoot chuckled.

Windsplash, with a sudden force, couldn't take his harsh words anymore. She flung herself on from the branch she was on, onto Sagefoot. He landed on the ground with a thud. It was loud but he didn't seem weakened. He pushed her off quickly and ran his claws down her flank by making her face the other way. Windsplash crouched, leaping and knocking down barely his broad shoulders, she unsheathed her claws on them and raked them down it. Sagefoot let out a slight response of pain by a grunt.

I'm fighting my own father. She thought as she continued to attack him more. Most cats would never do this to their father, but Sagefoot? He deserves it.

Windsplash caught onto his tail and bit hard into it, ripping fur off from it. Sagefoot let out an alarmed snarl, and kicked her with amazing force against a tree.

He's going to kill me if I don't flee right now! She dodged him and made her way swiftly towards camp, Sagefoot on her tail trying to beat her. She felt her heart pound out of her ears, and her paws thrumming along the ground felt like an earthquake to her. She arrived at the camp entrance.

She had bleeding wounds and ripped fur. Owlnose looked shocked. "W-What happened?"

"S-" she opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted.

"She was gone for a while, and I went looking for her. She met a fox, and she was fighting it with great power but I knew I needed to interfere. I sent away the beast with wounds myself and we came running back here."

Redstar looked thankful. "You are a great deputy, Sagefoot."

Windsplash's heart felt as if it was halved then clawed at multiple times. She heard the words that should of never happened.

She looked down, the clan cheering him on. It's no use. She felt like breaking into tears again. I'm failing you Dawnsong, and I don't ever think I can succeed.

And with that... Windsplash was taken to Owlnose's den with support of Whitedawn and Owlnose himself. Sagefoot wasn't as wounded so he walked himself. Windsplash would need to wait another time. I'll just need to wait for my time where I will shine bright. I'll prove them. For you, Dawnsong.