Chapter Twenty Four

Another long dreaded moon under Sagefoot's deputyship. It felt cold and harsh, whereas most cats would of believed it was a parade of sunning.

Sagefoot had been acting up. Rainpaw was apprenticed to Marshclaw and he didn't actually mind. He seemed fond of her, in fact. Not as fond though as he saw Doepaw, whom was now Doeflight. It had felt short - and Windsplash wishes her apprenticeship felt short, but, nonetheless, at least she was a warrior now.

The two hung out a lot. In fact, Doeflight was just out the apprentice den, they had chatted briefly both in apprenticehood, but Windsplash didn't know they were friends.

Windsplash looked away, not wanting to interfere. Sagefoot mentioned while I was with him about Marshclaw. He was poisoning them. Is that what he said? Windsplash started to worry slightly for Doeflight. What would she be getting into?

Those were the last of Windsplash's thoughts before she heard thunder overhead. A lot of it. It started to lash down with rain.

"Storm!" wailed Ashwing, Rosewind ducking by his side in terror.

Windsplash's pelt was soaked already. She looked up to see lightning crash down around them.

Her breathing sped up. Fire started to soon blaze to fallen trees. Is this my fault? Was I too late?

Sagefoot and Redstar! Her whole body realised with a jolt. Smoke was starting to flood MapleClan's camp.

"MapleClan, go to RoseClan's nearby moor! Get the kits to safety!" Windsplash shrieked.

She saw Mistkit in the back of the nursery, crouching and cowering desperately with fear, her body was shaking and her ears were flattened. Through the smoke, which Windsplash dared not to breath in a ton, she went over to Mistkit.

She was exhaling more than inhaling air. She was determined not to die. "Mistkit! Mistkit! Hold your breath-" she said, immediately getting Mistkit to hold her breath.

She galloped over to Tawnydapple, out of the smoke. Her tears were pouring down her face. Windsplash let out breaths of relief, trying to get her breathing in a regulatory pattern.

"I-I thought she was dead for sure-" cried Tawnydapple. "You're one real saviour, I cannot thank you enough-"

Mistkit let out a cough then a smile. "I'll be okay." She squeaked.

Windsplash smiled with relief.

There's no Sagefoot or Redstar still. Windsplash thought once more. I can't let Sagefoot do this!

She, without a word to Tawnydapple, dashed into the smoke-filled mess MapleClan camp. Her body shivered as she saw the rain stopping but the fire still blazing. It wasn't soaring through MapleClan territory yet so she had a chance.

But when she followed Redstar's hidden scent with the smoke, she smelled Sagefoot, sudden horror went through her. What was he doing with Redstar? How much lives does Redstar have? Windsplash followed further but was rather getting close to the fire. She looked around in the hazy smoke, which was faint now. Her eyes squinted, she saw two figures ahead. She crouched low and ran further.

As she got closer. She saw a familar brown tabby pelt and reddish brown pelt.

Sagefoot and Redstar.