Chapter Fourteen

"Windpaw!" a whispering voice in a hiss awoke her. It was Tawnydapple.

"What is it now?" Windpaw asked, standing up slowly and her eyes drooped. Can't any cat get some sort of sleep around here? She thought. She blinked her eyes open fully. Larkpaw was standing next to Mousebird, his mentor.

"It's your warrior assessment. You're doing it today." Tawnydapple mewed.

"Today!?!" Windpaw's eyes widened. "We've barely trained!-"

Tawnydapple let out a mrrrow of amusement. "We have trained, and you trained so well to a point, where.. I believe in you." she winked, leading her away with her tail. "Let's get going."

They padded out of camp and past Illuminated Stones. It was cloudy and overcast overhead. They got to the maple forest within their camp, which thankfully, hadn't been touched by the fire.

"Okay, split, Larkpaw, go that way." Mousebird mewed. "And Windpaw, that way." for Windpaw, she had pointed right, and obviously left for Larkpaw.

"Do some hunting, then we will test fighting, then.. we will assess and report to Redstar." Mousebird said in a strict tone. Bossy she-cat she is! She curled her lip slightly. Larkpaw had to deal with it for another six moons so don't feel bad for yourself. She said in her thoughts.

She dropped into a crouch, and felt as if someone was watching her. She slithered along the maple forest, her tail high. She sniffed the air and tasted the scent of a mouse. Quietly, she lumbered along quickly in the direction to find the mouse sitting peacefully by a tree-stump. Thank StarClan for this prey in the scarceness of this leaf-bare. She said quietly before leaping and killing it successfully in her paws.

She buried the mouse, stealthily still because she caught the scent of another mouse nearby. She crawled along the damp grass, slightly reluctant as it brushed against her paws, making her fur wet and damp. A shiver went through her. She dropped low and saw the mouse ahead, hidden in the grass. She lumbered forward and killed it in her mouth this time. It was risky, but at least she managed it.

She then took it and buried it in the earth away from the damp grass so she wouldn't have to be in it again. She flicked her tail, turned around, only to be surprised by Tawnydapple. 

"Hey!" she mewed, loudly, and cheerfully. "Time's up. You did well for leaf-bare!" she winked again. Windpaw blinked twice and widely, still in shock from the scare. She leapt towards Tawnydapple, whose pace was much faster.

Eventually, the two she-cats managed to find Larkpaw and Mousebird, whom looked bold and confident with each-other.

"Alright, now Larkpaw and Windpaw, you need to fight each-other. Do not get competitive as the winner will not get an award, or pass. The winner and loser will be on the same level. Understood?" Mousebird mewed.

They both nodded.

"Then let the battle commence." 

Instantly, Larkpaw leapt for Windpaw, his eyes bold still. Windpaw ducked and he jumped barely over her, Windpaw turned as quickly as she could and batted at his chest. Larkpaw let out a mrrow and slid down to kick her in the paws, making her almost fall. Windpaw jumped onto Larkpaw as he was on the ground, and longed to pin him down. Larkpaw was too quick for her and kicked her right off, standing up himself. Windpaw crouched down, her breathing getting heavy and fast. Larkpaw made his way towards her, before landing a blow on her flank. Windpaw ducked under him at the right time and batted his underbelly, he then dropped onto Windpaw, and Windpaw curled her lip in frustration. I almost had him!

Larkpaw was ready to pin Windpaw but she fought back, whipping her paw right across his face, and causing them to toss around slightly. It ended up with a lot of kicking each-other.

"Stop!" Mousebird called. "It's a draw."

Larkpaw and Windpaw exchanged satisfying glances.

"Let's get back to camp. You'll find out if you passed tonight." Tawnydapple teased them both. They both swung their tails. All Windpaw could hope for was that she passed..