Chapter Ten

Windpaw sighed with relief when she saw Redstar. However, he was dragging a familiar cream pelted limp body in his jaws. Immediately Windpaw started to shake.

Another cat's dead.. that's like the ..fourth.. death within a moon.. StarClan is this a sign? She wondered.

"Songbird," his voice cracked with grief. "My dear sister and deputy," he mewed, a sigh escaping him. "You did not deserve to die the way you did. You were engulfed by the flames and killed by the smoke.. you did your best.." he lay his head down on her body lightly. "I'm sure Mistyrose thanks you for saving Heatherkit like a hero. Without you, we would have had another death today." He let out a small wail of agony and nuzzled his dead sister.

The stars glittered. A new one would join them tonight. "Well.. we cannot rest here. We must go this way towards the gathering place, let's go, MapleClan.." he buried her body as close as he could to camp, he slowly but surely caught up with the rest of the clan, and burst into a coughing fit.

Tawnydapple jumped up, she nuzzled him and tried to do the best she could to calm his cough. Soon cats crowded him to ask if he was okay.

"Get out the way, you're going to make it worse," Owlnose mewed, he dipped his head at Tawnydapple. "You can stay."

Tawnydapple smiled. Owlnose gave a sheer look of horror as he collapsed to the ground, he stopped coughing. "He- he's losing a life! The smoke.."

Tawnydapple licked his head a couple of times and stretched him out slightly into a more comfortable position. "It's going to be alright.."

I can see them having kits. They'll be loyal, responsible and well mannered. Windpaw thought.

Better be after apprenticehood though. I don't want to stop training! Windpaw said to herself, uncertainty growing in her eyes.

Owlnose fed Redstar some herbs that he freshly picked on the way here. Bit of a bad time, but it does come in handy. She thought once more.

"He'll need rest. He'll wake up probably soon if you ask me. For the now, you'll all need to sleep by the trees and stuff. Hopefully it rains overnight and we can return tomorrow. Not so good for us though as we do not have shelter." Owlnose said, a 'well' look in his face as if he was just stuck. He blinked.

"Theres some bushes over here the queens, elders and kits could rest in." Rockwind suggested, his voice rising upon others.

"I say that's a great idea. Nutfall, you can rest there if you'd like, you're the only elder so I see no bother. Mistyrose, go sleep there with your kits, same to you, Rosewind. Let me know if you have any pains, your kits are due." Rosewind nodded, and let out a cry as if he had called it.

"I spoke too soon." Owlnose wiped his eyes in blatant boredness, he looked as if he just wanted to sleep. "Okay, get Ashwing. Marshpaw find a stick and some poppy seeds."

Ashwing rose up, arching his back. He looked calm, but something about his gaze gave it away that he was panicking.

"There's bushes over here too!" chimed in Rainpoppy, who was curling up.

"Apprentices can sleep in there," keyed in Pebblecreek. "and Rockwind, you should keep searching for a potential warriors part of bushes, there's a lot of us."

Rockwind nodded, giving her a nuzzle. "Over here!" He mewed. "Not technically in StormClan territory." He winked, making some of the warriors laugh. Everyone was settled, even in the amongst and stresses of fires, how long would it last?