Civil War Part 2

Natasha's POV

Today was Agent Carter's funeral, one of the Founders of S.H.I.E.L.D.  and it was also the day the Accords would be officially ratified. 

Or the day Steve Rogers would be a fugitive of the law, again, unless he miraculously showed up to sign, but I knew the thought was futile. He wouldn't change his mind.

I had debated about going to the funeral. He didn't need me there; he had others that would join him, but for some reason, I felt the need to go.

So I went.

I stayed in the back until it was over, feeling uneasy about being there. I killed people, I didn't mourn them.

When it was over, I watched as Steve stayed, his head held down. I hated that he looked so, well, not him. 

I finally made the move to him.

Steve's POV

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. When I found out she was alive...I was just lucky to have her," I say, seeing Natasha walk up. 

That was not what I had planned on saying.

She looks up at me before responding with a small smile. "She had you back, too." She's quiet for a moment, and when she responds, it's not what I expected to hear. "After everything that happened with S.H.I.E.L.D., during my little hiatus, I went back to Russia and tried to find my parents." I look up at her, surprised. She shook her head slightly before continuing. "Two little gravestones by a chain-link fence.  I pulled some weeds and left some flowers." She looks down for a moment, then back up at me. "We have what we have when we have it."

"Who else signed?" I ask.

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision," she replies with a shrug. 

I was not surprised there. "Clint?"

"Says he retired," she smiles.

"Wanda?"

"TBD." She thinks for a moment before responding. "I'm off to Vienna and there's plenty of room on the jet." 

I sigh softly, not wanting to deal with this at the moment.

"Just because it's the path of least resistance, doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together."

I wanted to tell her how wrong that statement was, but something else came out. 

"What are we giving up to do it?" She shakes her head disapprovingly. "Sorry, Nat. I can't sign."

She's quick to respond. "I know."

"Well then, what are you doing here?"

She looks unsure of what she's about to say and that puts me on edge.

"I didn't want you to be alone." 

Again, not what I expected. She reaches out, grabbing hold of my suit jacket, and pulling me in for a hug.

This was way out of character for her. 

I hug her back, squeezing gently as a sign of thanks. She releases me several moments later, giving me one last look before leaving the church.

I watched as she faded into the distance, wondering how everything would turn out.