Civil War Part 1

A/N: This is going to start out much like the movie Civil War for the first couple of chapters, but it will change as the story continues.

Natasha's POV

I was tired of hearing all the drama around the Avengers. We saved people. Hell, we've saved the world. Innocents have died, and we mourn for them. We try to avoid it, but sometimes we can't save everyone. We never mean to bring them into our problems.

I heard Secretary Ross was making an unexpected visit to the compound today. I had a bad feeling about the topic of the discussion.

My gut was always right.

The Sokovia Accords, the world's idea of restraint on us.

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us. Protected us. Risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word vigilantes," Secretary Ross says, pacing in front of us.

I'm quick to retaliate. "And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" I was itching for a fight. I never liked him and he never liked me. He was always looking for a reason to imprison me. There was no trust between the two of us.

His response is quick as well. "How about dangerous?" That question seems to be directly pointed at me and I could feel the others bristle at the threat. We had each others backs. "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind."

I push the anger I feel rising down, appearing nonchalant.

He moves out of the way of the screen to show us video footage of the previous battles we had fought, and the destruction they wrought. It was all heavy stuff, and when he got to the attack on Lagos, Wanda in particular was eaten up with guilt.

Steve cuts in to stop the footage. "Okay, that's enough."

He is nice enough to stop the videos.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He takes a booklet of information from a man that came with him, passing it to Wanda. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries. It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel. Only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

Steve responds quickly, seeing that as a threat. "The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that."

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" He doesn't answer, so Ross continues. "If I misplaced a couple 30 megaton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

Rhodey speaks up. "So, there are contingencies?"

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over."

I speak up again. I really hated this and knew no good would come from it. "And if we come to a decision you don't like?"

"Then you retire," he says, looking pointedly at me.

I give him a small, sarcastic smile in return.

He takes his leave and we're quiet for several moments. None of us know what to do or even where to start.