Chapter 6

Chapter 6

There was only one time when Wyatt heard me singing. It was back in high school and it was lunch time, and I was with Melody and the other friends I had who I have no contact with in the present. I was munching on my burger, and Melody had gotten fries. We shared a lot of stuff, even when it comes to food. So she took a bite and I took a couple of her fries. We were in the cafeteria, and as usual, it was packed and busy. Everyone was minding their own business. It was noisy, so we had to speak a bit louder in order to be heard. Singing was our hobby. Melody used to bring iPod and we shared the same taste in music. We are both suckers to old music. We both agreed that old and classic songs are much better than what it's being produced presently.

We still had thirty minutes before the bell rings, and Melody and I decided to spend it wisely by having a mini karaoke at the back of the school where no one usually entered or went to. When we got there, it was quiet and you could only hear the distant noises of the students who were shouting across the hall about some homework stuff. I tuned it out, and that's when Melody pulled out her iPod from her pocket and she started telling me about the old songs she had downloaded. Of course, the songs were from Westlife and Linda Ronstandt.

And yes, you guess it right - she downloaded it illegally.

No shame with that though. Almost everyone does that.

Even my mother was baffled when she learned I liked old songs, and her statement was always "You were even not born yet when those songs came out, how'd you even know it?" and I would just give her a casual shrug. The last time I countered by saying there's this called internet, I was smacked at the back of my head. An experience I wouldn't want to experience again. Let's just say my mother had heavy palms because she used to play volleyball when she was in her early teen throughout her mid-twenties.

My best friend handed me her iPod and she groaned when she forgot something in the cafeteria. She settled her bag against the concrete wall and scurried away to the cafeteria. I unlocked her iPod since I knew her lock code, and scrolled through hundreds of songs before I chose the only relaxing song I'd like to listen to. I plugged the earphones to my ears and hit shuffle.

It was Blue Bayou by Linda Ronstandt.

As soon as the song began playing, when she started singing, I joined her. It was really calming - there were no high notes and heavy drums and beats, and the sound of her voice was relaxing. You could clearly feel the emotion of the song. It's not that I was a sucker for love, but when she sang, it almost makes you feel the experience of being in love.

So I joined her. When I got my earphones plugged in, it's like the world in front of you fades and you don't care how loud your voice is, so you just keep singing. That's what I did. I kept singing and it didn't matter if I was loud, or if my singing was awful. But then again, I knew I had a good singing voice. Consciously I was waiting for my best friend to come back, but she wasn't here yet so I was assuming she was still looking for the stuff she misplaced in the cafeteria. Sometimes she was a mess and she always misplaced things.

The song ended and I unplugged the earphones from my ears, and suddenly a clap was heard and it jolted me out of my seat. I looked frantically and saw, just a few meters away from me, his back rested on one of the big trees, Wyatt. His eyes bored into mine and I felt shiver run down my spine. His eyes were intense, and his lips were set on a thin line. There was no reaction on his face, and I tried to search for one. However Wyatt was so good at masking his emotions when it came to me. I didn't know if he was praising me or mocking me when he clapped. One thing was for sure though, he heard me singing and somehow, I was waiting for his compliments even though I knew I wouldn't receive one. He was my enemy and we were far from beings friends for him to throw me a single compliment. Wyatt looked like he wanted to say something but judged against it. He left me alone with the iPod and earphones in my hands, and I was almost gripping the iPod. I let out a sigh and that's when Melody came back, relief flooding her face and she sat beside me, taking the iPod and she started scrolling through her playlist.