Chapter 1

There is something the way Matt, Melody's newest suitor, admires my best friend. It has been 8 years ago since I graduated Jacksonville High School, and Melody and I are still the best of friends. Though we have chosen a different universities, we still communicated at each other almost every day. We had to do Skype, through Facebook's Messenger, through Kik, but we mostly talked through Skype.

Melody and Donnie broke up; Donnie cheated on her with Melody's nemesis Diana Morris. Diana succeeded on taking Donnie away from her, after we graduated. Melody caught them almost having sex at the party, hosted by one of the basketball guys. I couldn't remember his name, but he was the one who threw the party. Of course Donnie tried to explain, but Melody knew that she had lost to Diana. According to her when she told me the story, her nemesis just threw her a smirk and rolled her eyes like a diva.

Donnie tried to apologize and explain himself, but Melody was having none of it. Of course I had told her that Donnie was a guy, and guys will be guys but men will be men. I had told her that Donnie's a jerk, a complete idiotic moron, who only cared for his looks and muscles. And it was true.

Melody and I fought after that; she claimed that I was happy she lost him, and that I had now a chance with him but it would probably be hellish because Donnie had now a taste of Diana Morris. I made a face in disgust; Donnie was cute, but I wasn't really attracted to him. It's like he was an ice cream, strawberry flavor, which I like, but I prefer the chocolate flavor.

After we fought, in the morning, Melody went up to my house, hugged me like she had lost me, and cried her eyes out, saying sorry for her attitude and that she was scared to lose me, her number one best friend in the world. I had told that it was fine, that it was natural to feel, but Melody told me it wasn't, so she treated me like a king – she treated me ice creams, bought me clothes (which I didn't like, but I was grateful), and hooked me up with guys that, according to her, might be interested on me. They weren't. But they were interested in sex.

"Stop staring at Matt, Pierce." Melody says in a sing-song voice. I roll my eyes at her and whirls the chair around, facing my computer and deciding to be productive for today. "He's mine."

Though I'm not looking directly at Matt, I can practically see his ears perking up like a dog when Melody mentions that he is hers. I roll my eyes again, and open up the Word 2013 on my computer, then type rapidly for the report that I'm going to make for the business.

My best friend and I are at the same office, having the same work and line of business; when we graduated Jacksonville High School, and entered universities, we promised to each other that we'd apply at the same company; that we'd still be together. We promised that if one was declined and the other was accepted, the accepted one would deny the job offer and we'd apply to a different company. It was crazy, believe me. Because I have been rejected several times, and she has been rejected several times, and then at this company, we both got offered a job when we applied.

"Keep your boyfriend to yourself," I mutter loud enough for them to hear. "Ain't gonna still him."

Matt is really cute; he's a down-to-earth person, a real fun, and a complete gentleman. His hair is auburn, and his eyes are light blue. He's as tall as Melody, and sometimes when Melody wears heels, which is a lot, she becomes taller than Matt. But they both won't mind. I can see that my best friend is head over heels with Matt, and Matt is just as whipped. My best friend giggles.

There's a beep on my computer, indicating that I have received an email.

I re-open the Chrome browser, check my e-mail tab, and see that it's from the CEO of the company – from Mr. McKenzie. His email reads:

This afternoon, we publicly announced the new CEO who's going to take the company after me. I have resigned to pursue another career opportunity. I have been a CEO of this company for a very long time, and watched it succeeded, even watched it downfalls. I want to express my gratitude to you for your hardship and diligent work. You have been part of the company, and you still are, and you have been a core part of the leadership team and has served as our key external contact with investors and bankers.