Chapter thirty eight

Annetta's POV

When bad things happen, I tend to live on like the world does not exist. It was a coping mechanism. It helps, a lot. It helps me forget temporary, and appreciate the little I already I have. It helps me reflect on myself, that I was everything he claimed me to be, making me convince myself that I will accept that about myself one day.

That I was rotten, as he claimed before I killed him.

To each their own.

I inhale a deep breath when I opened my eyes and finally, studied my surroundings. I felt sleepy because I was in this position for hours. I was definitely in the Lombardi basement, chained to a chair. It funny because Mario was here a few weeks ago and he predicted that I'd be in his exact position in a few weeks time. Ironic, right?

I can only imagine why I was on this chair, my day of judgement had arrived because Fabio revealed everything to them. From my treachery to the marriage. I could sense the hostility, see it in their faces and probably would feel their anger pretty soon. I anticipated this day sooner or later because I knew Fabio had every intention to do this. It wasn't a surprise to me yet I felt angered.

All the men stood in front of me in silence, watching me as I settle on the chair. I may seem like I wasn't bothered but I was, I wanted it to be over and done with. Dante watched me with stern look while Fabio just watched me, like he hasn't seen me before. But I avoided his gaze because if I even glance at him, I'd have the urgency to pounce on him.

"Annetta, why did you attend Lorenzo's gala?"

I blink straight at Dante as he questions me with a plain tone, and it caught me by surprise because it wasn't a tone I was expecting. I look at him again and watch, he was trying to figure this out but he still didn't hesitate to throw his hostile demeanour.

"I don't know." I rasp, my head slowly hangs low as I sever all eye contact with anyone in this room. My chest burned from the reminder of the real reason why I attended and it was only to try and amend things with my father. That didn't even get to happen because I've killed him.

"Did you have any intention to return back from Lorenzo's gala?"

"Yes." I muse, I throw my head back and glance at all of them. "Yes, I had every intention to return. Just because he is my father, doesn't mean I agree with everything he does."

"Really?" Dante spews, his brows lifted with curiosity when he saunters towards me. His face beginning to clear as the light shone on it. "That's not true, is it? You seemed to agree with him when he was planning to destroy my family, so much so, you agreed to become his accomplice."

My teeth grinds against each other when my jaws lock and immediately, my glare pans on Fabio, who stood amongst the men and didn't say a word. Even through the darkness, I could see the outline of his sharp face, his broad shoulders and his smooth skin. I've come to a realisation that there was nothing I hate more than Fabio Moretti, and it was always going to stay that way.

"Well?" I grit through my teeth, "Get it over and done with, kill me already."

"I'm not going to kill you Annetta." He reveals, a small part of me felt relief but it was soon replaced with sorrow. Isn't it clear enough that I'd rather be killed then live on? "I'm going to let you go." He reveals, "You are going to get a divorce and then leave. Go away as far as you can, I don't want you anywhere near my family."

I blink at him, my throat begins to squeeze and my heart slowly sinks. This is what I want, isn't it? It truly is, so why did I feel like this? I blink at Dante, who watches me as well as everyone else. Suddenly, I felt small with all their gazes on me. I appreciate this, I should be glad that Dante was letting me go instead of killing me like he traditionally would.