Chapter 29

Sam's POV
It's been a week since Homecoming 2.

Michael's in LA, performing for the record company hoping to get a record deal.

This week at school has been hard without him, especially with all the petty people. I stuck close to Kenzie, Brady and Lauren.

Lily and Ally had ended up transferring to our school, so now we had them here too.

The other boys had all left 5 days ago, and it's boring without them here now. We'd had so much fun with them.

I sigh, checking my phone for the millionth time this period.

Michael still hasn't texted me to say how it went. I'm sure he's busy, but... his performance was four hours ago.

Also I'm in chemistry and Michael is my lab partner so I'm kind of just a loner right now cause I don't know what I'm doing. Michael never knows what he's doing either, so it's not like he'd be helping. But at least he'd be HERE.

Finally the bell rang, indicating the end of the day.

We'd started a tradition for Fridays. Brady, Kenzie, Lauren, Lily, Ally and I all meet outside the school and walk to the coffee shop across the street to hang out and talk about our day.

"Did you guys hear that Bri's transferring here now too?" Ally asked after we'd gotten our drinks and sat down.

I smiled. "Really? That's cool."

Ally nodded. "Yeah, Marcus finally asked her out last week when she surprised him at one of their shows," she said.

"Awww," Kenzie said.

"I shipped it from the very beginning," I said proudly.

Brady laugher. "You think you're such a matchmaker."

I raised my eyebrows. "I got you two together didn't I?" Gesturing to him and Kenzie. They were sitting across from me, Ally and Lily in the booth.

Poor Lauren had to sit by them, she felt like a third wheel.

"Yes you did and we thank you for it," Kenzie said smiling, and Brady kissed the top of her head, making me miss Michael all over again. He's only been gone two days, but it's felt like an eternity.

"Have you heard from Michael?" Lauren asked.

"Yeah did he get the deal?" Lily asked.

I shook my head. "I haven't heard from him today."

Everyone went back to their drinks, and Ally and Lily got into a deep conversation about what emoji Lily needed to reply to Drew with, while Lauren and Kenzie had an argument because Kenzie was wearing Lauren's shoes.

Brady raised an eyebrow at me. "Everything okay?" He mouthed. I heard the unspoken 'between you and Michael.'

I just shrugged, taking a sip of my frappe. Cause honestly, I'm worried.

What if Michael really does make it big and forget all about me?

Michael's POV
"I'm sorry bro. Screw them. You'll show them one day," Miles said as I packed.

I've been staying with him the last few days since he lives in LA and only a few miles from the record deal company, where I'd never be showing my face again.

"Whatever," I said with a sigh.

The room fell silent. "You're not giving up are you?" He asked.

I froze. "No... just taking a break. I wanna play basketball, focus on some other things."

"Like Sam?" Miles asked.

I froze again. I hadn't texted Sam all day. I didn't wanna tell her that her boyfriend is a big failure.

"Uh, yeah, like Sam."

I finished packing and flopped down on the mattress.

All I know is this: I'm gonna work as hard as I can. Maybe not performing, but I'm gonna practice in my studio at home for hours, writing song after song.

I'm gonna work at this and prove these people wrong.

"Mike, don't overwork yourself okay?" Miles said, reading my thoughts.

I didn't say anything, just headed for the door. My Uber's here to take me to the airport.

Miles and I man-hugged. "I'll be back," I promised him.

He grinned. "I don't doubt it."

/

/

Topline was iconic

Topline was iconic

Hey. I have a super busy day so I figured I'd put this up early.

Happy Saturday, love you all ❤️

-Kaity