Chapter 8

Samantha's POV
"Sam!!! Get your butt downstairs, we're late!!!!" Shawn yelled from upstairs.

"Coming!!!" I yelled, hopping around my room trying to get my converse on

. I loved them but WHY were they so hard to get on????

I'd spent way too much time texting Logan instead of getting ready for school.

I finally got both my feet in and decided to save tying them til I got in the car.

I ran down the stairs... then tripped over my shoelaces and tumbled down them.

I landed in a heap on the kitchen floor at the bottom of the stairs.

Shawn honked the horn from the car outside and I sighed, getting up and trudging out the door.

The day felt long already.

*
By the time I'd gotten to sixth period—choir—I was exhausted. 

And today was only Monday, so I had no weekend to look forward to.

At least I had something to look forward to tonight though..

"Cool if I sit here?" A voice asked and I looked up and saw Michael gesturing to the empty seat next to me.

Logan and I had left lunch early. He had to meet one of his teachers, so I'd just come to choir early.

"Um, yeah, sure," I said, moving my backpack out of the chair.

No matter how many times I tried to convince myself I didn't like Michael, I always stuttered when I talked to him, and my heart always pounded when we made eye contact.

Michael looked stressed. He kept running his hands through his hair, and looking down. He was slumped all the way down in his chair.

"Michael? You okay?" I asked.

He looked at me, then looked back down. "I'm fine. Uh-Juliet broke up with me," he said, running his hand back through his hair.

"Oh Michael, I'm sorry," I said, touching his arm like the awkward person who doesn't know how to comfort that I am.

He shook his head. "It was for the best... I kind of have feelings for someone else anyway," he said, locking eyes with me.

My heart pounded. He didn't mean...

No.

I, the shy, stuttering, awkward new girl in Shaker Heights would be the last person he'd have feelings for.

Before I could open my mouth, the door opened and two people ran in.

"We- made- it," a breathless Mackenzie said, setting her backpack on a chair in front me and sitting down.

"Yeah, but they'll-still-find me," Brady said panting, and collapsed on the chair beside her.

I giggled. "Where have you guys been?"

"Well, we ate lunch outside cause girls kept following me," Brady said.

"Just you and Mackenzie?" Michael asked, and I saw a small smirk on his face and I laughed.

Brady glared at him, making me laugh harder.

He shifted his glare to me and I covered my laughter up with a cough.

"ANYWAY, we started to head to choir until a mob of girls spotted us and started yelling for Brady. So we took off running," Mackenzie finished, giggling.

"Yeah— and here we are," Brady said.

The classroom door opened again and more students trickled in.