Chapter 2

Samantha's POV
I somehow survived history class (which I hate) and made it to second period without getting lost (actually, I followed someone from my history class who'd been talking about how they had Geometry next period so I figured we had the same class. I was right!)

I sat down at a desk in the back corner and pulled out my calculator and a notebook.

"Hey Samantha!!" A voice said cheerfully, and I looked up as Brady slid into the desk next to me.

I smiled. "Hey! You have this class?"

That's why he's sitting down, smart one.

"Sorry, that was dumb. That's why you're here," I said.

He laughed. "It's fine. Yeah I'm in advanced math," he said.

"Um, why's Heather here?" I asked, realizing she'd walked in and was sitting in the other back corner.

He shrugged. "She must've failed last year."

"Joy," I whispered.

He sighed. "As if math wasn't horrible enough," he said, and I laughed.

"My thoughts exactly."

"Hi Brady!!!!" A girl said really enthusiastically.

He smiled, but I could tell he didn't know her know her. "Hi, how are you?"

"Good," the girl said, and looked like she would hyperventilate. She sat next to him, and then stared at him for like, years.

"Thought you didn't know anyone?" I whispered.

"I don't know her. She just knows me," he whispered back.

"What? That doesn't-"

"Shhh, it's all part of the long story I still have to tell you later."

Suddenly the bell rang and the teacher went up to the podium. She was pretty, and looked really young.

"Hi class! We're not gonna do much today. I'll pass out the textbooks, we'll start today's lesson, blah blah boring stuff—but I want us all to get to know each other today. Sound good?"

I smiled. I liked this teacher already.

"So I'll start it off. I'm Miss Warren. This is my first year teaching-so sorry if I'm like, terrible, okay?" She said, and we all laughed.

"Besides teaching, I love music. I love to sing, and I sing at restaurants around here 3 nights a week, accompanying myself on the guitar."

We all gasped.

"Can you do something for us?" A girl in the front row asked.

"Right now?" Miss Warren asked.

"Yessss" we all chorused, and she laughed.

"Oh alright."

Brady and I exchanged grins as she pulled out a guitar case from behind her desk and opened.

Somehow I knew we wouldn't be doing any math today.

*

It was time for lunch and literally I hadn't made any friends except Brady. And I hadn't seen him since math.

This school seemed to have a lot of cliques. And as the shy new girl, I knew I wasn't getting into any of them.

I stood in the line for hot lunch, looking around anxiously wondering where I'd sit. Where does one who has no friends and can't make them very easily sit???