Detectives

"REN? RAN?" Makoto yelled as he ran inside the house. The lights were still on and everything seemed eerily tranquil. Makoto ran upstairs and frantically opened the doors. No one. There was no one there.

"Makoto?" Haru yelled. "Come here!"

Makoto tripped down the stairs in frenzy to go to the kitchen where Haru was. Haru was pointing at the ground where the emergency number paper was laying.

"They took it off the fridge." Haru whispered. "Someone else was here."

Makoto's eyes prickled in frustration. "Damn it!" He cursed as he rubbed his eyes. "Damn it!"

Haru briskly walked over to the phone and called the police. Makoto sat on the step with his head in his hands.

"Hey." Haru spoke softly. Makoto didn't look up. He couldn't move. "The police are gonna come by later after they talk to some people."

Makoto nodded his head. His eyes stayed fixed on the floor below him and he urged himself not to break down. He felt empty, like his entire life had been crushed before his eyes. Ren and Ran were gone. The two people he had sworn to always protect, were in danger. And he couldn't do anything about it.

Haru cautiously sat himself down next to the other. "They're gonna be okay." Haru whispered. "They're strong kids."

Makoto let the first tear fall. "I know they're strong. But even if they make it out okay, they're..." Makoto took in a heap of air as he tried to control his heart that won't stop racing. "They-they'll be just like-like me." Makoto broke. Everything came undone. All of the memories he pushed to the back of his head resurfaced and all of the pain he tried to bury was brought back. "Haruka what if they end up like me? What if they aren't okay. What if something awful happens to them. What if we can't-what if we can't save them?"

Haru watched his boyfriend unravel before his eyes. He watched as he gasped for air as his throat tightened and his airway was becoming smaller. He watched as the tears dripped onto the ground at his feet.

Haru wasn't the best at the whole "love" thing but he knew enough from Makoto loving him. He didn't hesitate as he wrapped his arms around the boy, pulling him in close. Makoto pushed his face into the crook of Haru's neck. He instinctively gripped onto Haru's arms and held onto him like he was his oxygen.

Haru shushed him gently as his hand went up to brush his hair away from his teary eyes. "You're okay." Haru cooed. "They're gonna be okay. I promise."
Haru knew that he couldn't promise something like that but he would promise him anything, if it would calm him down.

Makoto's sobs died down and his breathing became heavier. He managed to cry himself to sleep, having no energy left after what felt like dying.

Haru didn't dare move. He closed his eyes and leaned his head up against the wall.
————————————————————————
Knocks were heard as Haru awoke. He carefully moved Makoto off of him and left him to lay against the wall instead.

He opened the door and saw that the police were there. Haru quietly answered all of their questions and consented to having the police search the house.

Makoto stirred awake when Haru sat back down beside him. "W-what's happening?" Makoto rubbed the sleep away from his eyes.

"The police came to search the house." Haru explained. He watched the color drain a little from Makoto's face.

"It..It wasn't a dream." He whispered. "They're really in danger, aren't they?"

Haru didn't say anything. He just hugged the other boy trying to comfort him the best he could.
————————————————————————
Ran woke up to a dark room. The musty smell hit her nose right away and she grimaced. She looked around trying to find her brother, but it was too dark. "Ren?" She quietly called out, too afraid to make enough noise and have the man come back.

Only silence was heard. "He must be in another room." She thought to herself.

The situation finally caught up to her and she urged herself not to cry. "Please" she begged. "Please God, help me!" She cried as she shook with anxiety.

She already knew that she couldn't move. The cold floor was beneath her and her arms were currently tied around the pole that she leaned up against.

Suddenly the lights turned on and she quickly closed her eyes.

"I know that you're awake." A deep voice said. She already knew who it was. The man kicked her ankle before growling at her to open her eyes. She obeyed and blinked away the spots dancing in her vision. And she saw him.

He grabbed her by her shirt and pulled her up. He took a swig out of his beer bottle before swishing it around in his mouth and swallowing. Once he had downed the bottle he threw it down and the ground by Ran's feet. She yelped and shook in fear.

"Shut up!" He yelled. He grabbed her chin and forced her to look at him.

"Dad stop!" She cried.
————————————————————————
"And you said that the paper was on the ground when you got home?" One of the detectives asked. Haru said yes and the detective continued their questions that felt like it was just wasting time. Makoto was talking to another detective about their family and any other information that would be helpful for narrowing down suspects.

"You think your father would do that?" The detective speaking with Makoto asked.

Makoto sighed and said yes.

"And why not your mother?"

"She never hurt us or anything. Father did. But she never stopped him. I think that deep down she may have been afraid of him too." Makoto explained.

"Okay that's all we need right now."

Makoto nodded and kept his head low as he went back to the step that he has been sitting at as of late.

Haru came over by him not too long after letting the police out of the house.

"I'm so sorry Mako." Haru said as he rested his head against the others slightly larger shoulder.

"Me too." Makoto muttered before once again falling asleep.