~ 1.9 ~

┏━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ➹ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━┓'I mind that you're leaving me behind, why?Cut me off the feelings dry, lie

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

┏━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ➹ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━┓
'I mind that you're leaving me behind, why?
Cut me off the feelings dry, lie.
Tell me that we're doing fine.'
┗━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━┛

Nerves coursed through Indiana as she watched the clock hand tick by. In just an hour, the Tribute Interviews would take place and 23 teenagers would have their last night of freedom.

Over the duration of the week, the girl from One and the boy from Two had had numerous sparring matches – every single one had ended in a draw. She was too quick for him and wore him out and he was too strong for her to take him down. If they were the last two in the arena, it would be difficult to determine who would become the Victor.

In the evenings, the Career pack settled down in the living area of District One's floor and wasted the hours by discussing the first thought that entered their heads. Since arriving at the Capitol, Marvel and Indiana hadn't had a single conversation between the two of them since that short moment before the Tribute Parade. In fact, they hadn't even been in a room together alone.

Slipping into her interview dress, Indiana shimmied in the light in order to watch her long, golden dress shimmer.

"You look gorgeous, Sweetheart." Cashmere fawned, gazing at her niece lovingly. "Your parents would be proud."

"Are you proud? Proud that I'm holding my head up high whilst I wait to die?" Indie scoffed, breaking the moment between her and her aunt, especially when her lip wobbled.

Her hands began trembling when she saw the tearful look on Cashmere's voice.

"Honey, please. If your uncle and I had the power to stop this, we would. But, it's out of our control so please, just try. For us." Cashmere pleaded, grasping the younger blonde's hands tightly.

"What happens if I win? I become just like you and Uncle Gloss; destined to spend the rest of my life doing Snow's bidding. I'll have to watch my children get sacrificed and have them believe it was for the greater good!"

Pulling her niece in for a tight hug, Cashmere pressed a kiss to the top of her head, mindful of her curls.

"I know this is hard for you, I've been here, remember? I know you lost your parents – I lost my sister and brother-in-law. I can't bear to watch you go through this and it will be the biggest fight of your life, literally, but I will try my damn hardest to make sure you come home to me."

"I don't want to die."

"You won't." Cashmere said stubbornly. "Now, dry those eyes but don't smudge your makeup otherwise Phoenix will have both our heads. Put on your brave face and don't show anyone how scared you are."

"Being scared is a part of being human."

"Then make sure you don't show that you're human. After all, no one in this blasted place is."