~ 3.25 ~

┏━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ➹ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━┓'There's two sides to every story

'There's two sides to every story.
But I don't know how this one ends.
You want fire and you want glory.
But there's a struggle that lies within.'
┗━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ➹ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━┛

Metal cooled the slick palm of her hand as she tightly gripped the silver lock that hung around her neck. Running her thumb over the picture of her aunt and uncle, she looked down at their smiling faces and prayed that, against all odds, she would not be reunited with them any time soon.

Pain had been her constant companion since she had entered the arena during the 74th Annual Hunger Games. When death took her at the end of them, Indiana had accepted her fate as the warm blood spilled from her abdomen. Wakening a few weeks before the 75th Games to discover that President Snow had hoarded all the bodies of the fallen tributes had ignited her desire to fight once more; she had to ensure her best friend's body was safely returned to his parents. Finding the love of her life during the Games hadn't been part of the plan but it had made her want to live, not just for glory but for a chance of having a happy ending.

By the time smoke cleared from the aftermath of the 75th Games, every thing she had held dear had been ripped from her. Enslaved in the clutches of Snow, Indiana had begged for death each time she was encased in darkness. She had wanted nothing more than to slowly slip away. Cato hadn't even entered her mind in those moments of suffocating pain and she cared little for the fact that death would mean leaving him behind. Glancing down at the ring that now rested permanently on her left ring finger, Indiana realised that she refused to die now.

A whole life worth living waited for her once the rebels defeated the oppressors that hid behind the protected walls of the Capitol. She had a husband who loved her, who made each breath worth exhaling. She had a best friend's body to reclaim and bury in accordance to District One traditions, along with the bodies of her surrogate parents. She had a family-in-law to meet that (according to Cato) would do nothing but care and protect her. And, Cato's favourite part of the future that they were fighting for was to meet their children. Snuggled under the covers the previous night (neither one able to sleep due to their impending mission), one large hand rested on her flat stomach as the young couple fantasised about their life once the war was over.

Tucking the locket safely back under her shirt, Indiana smiled at the familiar weight of it between her breasts. Cato smiled solemnly at her as he pulled the bullet-proof vest over her head, checking it was securely fastened. He pressed a chaste kiss to her forehead before turning to check Katniss' for her.

Some part of Indiana bristled slightly at the visual reminder that her husband had a close friendship with the woman but for the most part, Indiana was grateful that the Girl on Fire had been so kind to Cato and vice versa. Most people from the other Districts had only rallied together to fight against the Capitol because of Katniss' actions and her continuous efforts to thwart President Snow. Katniss' compassion was the reason Indiana had been given another chance at life, regardless of her also being the cause behind Indiana losing her life in the first place.