~ 3.23 ~

┏━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ➹ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━┓Hear the voices surround us

┏━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━┓
Hear the voices surround us.
Hear them screaming out.
We'll be crying for mercy.
We'll be crying out loud.
┗━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━┛

Muscles burning, Indiana powered through the aches of her body and continued with her jogging, pushing herself to the front of the soldiers. She refused to allow herself to fall behind, as she never had before. Past memories fluttered in her mind and she forced herself to push them away before any 'distractions' could arise. The last thing she needed was for Marvel to appear at her side (as he had done each time they had to do their lap of District One) and allow her to fall behind in her shock.

Training had proved to be painful but the pain was a pleasant reminder. During her imprisonment, her body had undergone various forms of trauma. Even having been denied the right to walk around for days on end. She was paying for that now with each strained muscle and each wrong move she made. However, the adolescent years of her life had been spent stretching, running and learning to fight. Bruises and aches had been a constant during her teenage years – a sign that she was working hard. As the pain began to fade with each strenuous day, she knew it was a sign that she was improving.

If she were to go to the Capitol, she had to prove that she was better than even their most able bodied soldiers. Getting Coin to sign off on training for the three women had been an arduous enough task as it was. Reluctance was written all over her face when Indiana and Katniss stood before and begged her to let them join the mission. Indiana was sure that it was the most emotion she had ever seen the cold woman display. Pleading for permission to go to the Capitol to fight against their oppressors had been degrading. After everything the past tributes had been through, they had earned the right to go.

As Katniss and Johanna collapsed on the floor once their training was over, Indiana chugged down the water she hadn't used during the run. A melancholy smile graced her lips as she watched the two women on the floor, in a similar position to how she and Marvel were often found after a particularly gruelling session at the Academy.

Soldier York didn't allow the women to dawdle for longer than five minutes as she had to make way for the older group of recruits that were due to start their training. Pulling Indiana to one side, she congratulated her on the progress that had been made, informing the blonde woman that she would be moving up into one of the older group of trainees.

Elated at the praise, Indiana's mind once more wandered back to her days during District One. Brief flashes of her final year flickered as she tried to blink them away. Another time, another mentor smiling down at her with pride.

━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ➹ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━

Exhausted from her advanced training sessions, Indiana rested her head against Cato's shoulder as they ate their dinner that evening. Whilst the quality of the food was far richer than their past meals, she barely registered the mouthfuls as she put more focus into keeping her eyes open.