~ 1.3 ~

┏━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ➹ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━┓'You know more than they could know

'You know more than they could know.
Of all that I've been through.
And that I've only come this far
Because of you.'
┗━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━┛

Seeping through the half-drawn curtains, the harsh glare of sunlight rudely awoke the sleeping girl. Kicking Marvel for not closing them properly, she sat up upon feeling the cold side of an empty bed.

Running water sounded from the adjoined bathroom and the absence of Marvel suggested he was in the shower, ensuring he looked his best for the Reaping, as was expected.

District One's Reaping didn't start until 1pm but the District was already awake and preparing for the big day - excited to see whom their 'lucky champions' would be. A feast would be thrown in their honour and the whole District would attend.

Five minutes later, the shower stopped running and Marvel's wet head popped round the door.

"There's still hot water, don't worry." Marvel joked upon seeing the sombre expression on his best friend's face. "You alright, Indie?"

His body appeared as he took a step closer, the bottom half of him clad in a light pink, fluffy towel.

"Yeah. Just thinking about how lucky I am to have you. Love you, Marv. I don't know what I'd do without you." Indiana smiled up at him.

"Love you too, Shorty. Now get in the shower because you stink," he scrunched you his nose in faux disgust and pushed her in the direction of the bathroom.

━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ➹ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━

Marvel's mother had come over whilst Indie was washing, bringing with her a beautiful dress and some cosmetics for Indie's final Reaping.

"I can do your hair for you, if you'd like." Mrs Kentwell offered.

Ever since her first Reaping, Mrs Kentwell had always helped her get ready as Cashmere and Gloss had to leave early to go to the Justice Building; a downside to being a Victor and a Mentor.

Over the years, Mrs Kentwell had become like a second mother to the orphaned girl, with Cashmere becoming her first. Knowing that this could quite possible be the last time she would see the kind, elderly face of the woman broke Indiana. However, she smiled and tried to pretend she was happy. Mrs Kentwell had enough to worry about this morning without dealing with an emotional breakdown.

Pulling the dress on over her head, Indiana ran her hand down the white silk dress, a baby blue ribbon tied around the waist and matching the little blue pumps on her feet. Her blonde hair had been pulled into a braided bun, a few strands left loose to frame her face.

"It makes you look innocent and feminine. That way, if you do get picked, people will underestimate you." Mrs Kentwell smirked.

Due to her caring nature, it was easy to forget that Marvel's mother had been born and raised in District One - until she said comments like that.

"Thank you. I look beautiful." Indie whispered, voice thick with emotion.

"You always do."

Turning around, Indie hugged the woman tightly, smiling at the familiar smell of jasmine and honey. A smell that reminded her of family that she wasn't ready to lose.

━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ➹ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━

1pm had finally arrived, and Indiana and Marvel trudged towards the Square where the Reaping was always held. Silence filled the space between them but their hands were tightly clasped together and that was all the support they needed; each other's strength.

As they reached the Square, the pair were forced to part ways to register and stand in their separate sections. Before parting, Marvel placed a swift kiss to her soft cheek and went to stand with his peers.

Getting over shock, Indiana spotted a friend in her section and hurried to stand next to her. The two girls shared an acknowledging smile that looked more like a grimace but no words were exchanged.

No one ever spoke at the Reaping.

Iris quickly turned her attention back to the front, patiently awaiting for the Reaping to begin; she was one of the District members that wanted to get chosen for the Games.

Paloma, District One's escort, tottered onto the stage wearing ridiculous heels and put on the annual Reaping video that they were forced to watch.

"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favour! As usual, ladies first." Paloma screeched, way too excited.

Rolling her eyes, Indie hoped Paloma would hurry up and choose the names so that the Reaping could be over quickly.

"Indiana Summers."

Forcing her features into a look of neutrality, Indie held her head up high and forced herself to be calm. Despite her years of training, nothing could prepare Indie for having to actually murder young children.

As Indie stood next to Paloma on the stage, she let out a breath of relief when she heard who the male tribute was.

"Finn Maxwell."

"I volunteer as tribute!"

The whole town square started muttering and whispering at the shock of someone volunteering for an eighteen year old tribute. Trying to remain calm, Indie dug her fingernails into her palm and looked straight into the crowd as the volunteer climbed onto the stage and gave his name.

"Marvel Kentwell."

┏━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ➹ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━┓
'They could take away most anything
And I don't think it'd matter much
No I don't think it'd matter but
I don't think I could make it without you.'
┗━━━━━━ ⋆⋅ ⋅⋆ ━━━━━━┛