New Year's Eve

"We're here Christi," Johnattan says gently shaking my shoulders and I peek from behind my eyelids to see him turn left through the grand, black gates.

I yawn rubbing the sleep from my eyes, only to be greeted by trees covered by thick layers of snow.

We're coming from my dad's where we'd spent Christmas – per my father's request and it's been a tiring couple of days. My aunts and cousins from Venice came to visit dad and when they saw me pregnant and engaged, Johnattan and I became the centre of attention.

These people may have hated my mom but they adored me, after all, I was Matti's girl, the son who went to the Americas and became a rich, business man.

It was a bit tense whenever my mother's name came up, when they gave fake sympathy about her not being here today but surprisingly I managed to withhold my spiteful tongue and look at the good side of things.

Mom would have wanted us to get along no matter if they liked her or not so I'd do such.

Apart from that, the holiday wasn't that bad. Aunt Cara made her famous, Ciceri e tria which was made with chickpeas with both fresh and fried tagliatelle. Aunty Maria contributed her mouth-watering Lasagne and in memory of Mom – who's latina –, dad and I made her favourite guacamole dip and tortillas. We also had La Vigilia, a traditional Christmas Eve dish, which doesn't have any meat in it, it's all fish and vegetables.

We had a grand mix-culture celebration this Christmas. Our cousins danced traditional Italian dances and dad and Rudana did the salsa since I was too bloated to move. We sang traditional Christmas carols, sat around the fireplace telling stories and decorated the tree with tinsel and ornaments.

Rachel was not happy with our presence – that is Johnattan and I – but she kept her mouth shut and played the part of the perfect wife to the rest of family. There were times when we got along but it didn't last, other times we were too engrossed with my two aunts, their husbands and four children to speak to each other.

When they heard we were leaving for Johnattan's family house they were upset – well, except for Rachel – but nevertheless they embraced us, wishing us farewell and safe travels.

Dad even walked me to the jeep, telling Johnattan to take care of his Chris and grandbabies or else... Of course, our safety is his main priority so they ended up agreeing and embracing in a bro hug.

It was nice seeing my dad and fiancé getting along and everyday I'm happy that I made up with my dad.

Family is always stronger together.

After saying farewell to dad, we take off and as expected I start falling asleep as the car starts driving, only to awaken by my charming fiancé.

Stretching, I grit my teeth as my stomach clenches drawing a hiss from my lips. Johnattan looks over at me with worried eyes and I give him a forced smile.

"I'm fine," I say before he can ask the question painted on his face.

"Are you sure?" he asks resting his hand on my stomach. "We can always go back home... you're drawing nearer to your due date. We shouldn't be so far away from the hospital especially since it's snowing."

"It'll be fine Johnattan and plus, you promised Momma Jo you'd be home for New Year's."

"You and our babies come first, you know that," he says sternly caressing my stomach.

"And we're fine," I say placing my hand on his.

"Fine," he says after a pregnant pause bringing my hand to his lips planting a kiss on it.