New York

————

To: Christina Hase

Fr: Matthias Authoró

We need to talk.

Your little fiasco in California made its way onto the news.

Imagine the headline 'Authoró's renegade child strikes again.'

In this envelope is an invitation to your sister's engagement party in three days. Follow the instructions on the invitation... Your sister will be happy to see you so don't make a scene.

Ensure that you're present at the party or you'll be seeing me sooner than you think and not on such good terms. Also bring that saviour of yours. We all have things to talk about.

M.A

————

Short and to the point as always dad... I mentally sneer as I read this letter for the umpteenth time.

He hasn't tried to contact me in two years and now here he is laying out rules and threats.

My face scrunches up in disgust as I look at the invitation in my hand.

Rudana Authoró invites you, honoured guest...

Honoured guest my ass... That girl may share my blood but she's the farthest thing from a sister to me. No sister would have sat back and allowed anyone to do that to their own flesh and blood. Especially after all the times I covered and stuck out for her.

"Christina, you need to stop rereading that letter," Shan moans in exasperation at me and I lift my eyes over to find her droopy eyes on me. "If it causes you such distress, you really shouldn't read it."

Shan sits beside me in black jeans, a cashmere sweater and a pair of ankle high converse. She has one of those pillows for your neck on her shoulders as she tries to relax and she also clutches onto the hand of a sleeping Dimitri, her fear of flight kicking in.

Honestly, I would be throwing a tantrum about being so far off the ground right now, if my mind wasn't buzzing around with unanswered questions. All of which won't be answered until Saturday, two days from now.

Sighing, I throw the letter and invitation on the set of seats before me and close my eyes as I try to calm my nerves. Unfortunately for me, my fear of heights kicks in and I grab the nearest thing in arm's length.

Slight snoring causes me to look to my left at Johnattan who's leaning on the airplane window fast asleep. His hand is what I use to ground me as my frantic nerves try to torment me and he doesn't even stir as my grip tightens on his hand.

Gently, I reach out with my free hand to stroke his cheek, this time causing him to stir a little. We've been in the air for a good two hours and Johnattan had spent the first hour trying to calm me as take-off fears and daddy issues nearly drove me up a wall. Then after I'd calmed down he dozed off, and I was fine with being left alone for that time. He needs the rest and I need the time to think.

"I'm trying..." I murmur as I look over at Shan. "I'm trying not to pend on it but it's killing me... Why would he want to see me now? I don't think the Sam situation affected his reputation too much, not for him to want to see me... I've been in the limelight occasionally but he never..."

"Maybe he's concerned," Shan says optimistically and I try hard not to laugh.

"My father's many things but concerned is not one, especially about me." I state bluntly.