Meet the Blakes

"This place looks beautiful," I state as I walk through Johnattan's parents house practically gawking at the interior design.

"Thanks," Jessie says with a smile. "Mom would love to hear of your love of her handy work."

"Your mom did this?" I ask, staring at Johnattan in surprise.

Before he can reply though Jessie does. "Yeah, she used to be an interior designer, that's how she met dad. He hired her to design his new office building."

"Doesn't that sound strikingly similar to our situation?" I whisper as look up at Johnattan who has a sheepish look on his face.

I raise my brow at him and he grins before kissing the side of my head.

"Do you believe in history repeating itself?" He whispers back and I look at him sceptically.

"– of course at that time they didn't know their parents had been plotting to get them together," Jessie continues. "That job was her first and our grandparents thought it'd be good to allow them to work together and get acquainted so when they popped the proposal they wouldn't be too upset."

"Okay, maybe not all that similar after all," I state and Johnattan shrugs.

"Luckily for us though they didn't mind the idea of being together and soon fell in love," Jessie says as she walks in front of us. "I mean imagine a world without me. It'd be..."

"Quiet? Peaceful?" Johnattan supplies.

"Nah, more like boring," she says waving him off.

Soon, we enter a cosy looking living room and I try not to let my mouth touch the ground as I take in the aesthetic. The theme of this room is warm hence, the use of beige, honeycomb yellow and the most beautiful Tiffany couches my eyes have ever had the chance of seeing.

They look like something you'd see in a palace, based on the design I can tell their mother has an eye for antiques and appreciates the work of the 1700s.

"My baby!"

The voice of a petite woman startles me as she runs forward to embrace Johnattan.

I step back as he embraces her tucking her head under his chin and I can't hide the smile that fights its way onto my face.

The woman in the arms of my boyfriend is curvy with sandy brown complexion and dark locks pulled back in a ponytail. As she pulls away entrancing baby blues stare up at the man in front her with love and as her smile brightens her eyes wrinkle.

"Mom," Johnattan says, placing a kiss on her cheek and she cups his face staring at him with glistening eyes.

"My baby's back," she states. Her voice is not the typical soft and timid but rather it's gentle yet strong. Trait of a strong woman.

"Um, mom," Jessie pipes up. "I'm the last one so, technically I'm the baby."

"But he's my last baby boy," their mother says as she caresses her son's face. He looks over his mom's head at me and I chuckle at how swished his face looks.

"Now," she looks up at her baby boy with narrowed eyes. "You've been gone too long Joey," she says, smacking Johnattan at the back of his neck.

The gesture causes Jessie and I to laugh but it doesn't seem catch Johnattan off guard. I guess it's something she normally does.

He rubs the spot she hit sheepishly before trying to apologize but she cuts him off before he can continue.

"It's been nearly a year Joseph and I know you've been busy but we live only an hour away. Your brother visits more than you and he lives in the next state over. We've seen even Julia more than you and she moves from state to state with her job. You have no excuses, boy."