The unexpected

Additional Cast

Sam Mariel - Zach Efron

Edward McKnight - Steven Kelly

Shanice Jakes - Hannah John

Cheverlee Black - KeKe Palmer

********

Beep...

Beep...

Beep...

My eyes feel heavy, my body feels numb and my leg feels - I can't even feel anything from it.

Beep...

Beep...

With the little strength I have I push my eyelids open. They fall close a few times as I attempt opening them before finally they become lighter allowing movement. The bright fluorescent light obstructs my vision and I clamp my eyes close as pain shoot through them. Damn it! It is like someone just took the sun from space and shone it directly in my eyes.

I slowly open my eyes again allowing them to get use to the light as they water a bit. Soon my eyes become clear and travel around the room I'm in. The grey walls, various health machinery and the small wooden chair to the left of the bed I'm in alert me I'm in a hospital.

What the fuck happened? I feel like I just got run over by a bus.

My eyes drift to the other wooden chair in the room and I find Chev curled up with a blue blanket covering her as she sleeps. Her head is set in an uncomfortable position and her body moves around a little as she tries to find comfort.

I sigh as I try to push myself up in the hospital bed but I find myself stuck in my current position. I look up at what's causing my immobility and my mouth becomes dry.

My left leg is being held up by different wires, a sling and strings. It's covered in a white cast except for my toes that peek from the opening. The toes are left out to check for signs of poor circulation that much I remember from my first aid classes. The cast starts at my mid-thigh extending all the way down but that's not the worst part. I can't feel anything in that leg, it's like it's dead. I wiggle my toes and they move but I can't feel them at all.

My eyes widen in confusion and horror. My leg's broken...

Blurry images flash across my mind and it all comes back to me. Me on my bed pathetically crying over Johnattan. The shaking, an earthquake. Calling for Chev but receiving no reply. My stupid heroic dash that ended up with me hitting my head on the floor and the bookcase falling on my leg.

I can't believe this... Why are bad things happening to me?

Well you did hurt Johnattan so I guess this is your karma, my subconscious states and I clench my teeth.

"You wanted me to leave him... You fucked around in my head and made me leave him," I argue.

Oh no I didn't... It was your stupidity in the past with a certain person that pushed you to leave him. It's not my fault you're barren. It's your fault...

My breath hitches, my fists clench at the 'b' word and sobs threaten to escape my mouth. Even my inner self blames me, I really am the one who caused this. "It's my fault."

"Christina?" A voice calls out and I look over at a glossy eyes Chev.

"Hey," I croak out with a small smile as I take in her appearance.