CHAPTER 32

[RECAP]

[Casey's POV]

"Casey?" I heard the voice that I longed to hear so much. "Casey?" his warm, velvet voice filled my ears. "Doctor, she's waking up," I hear a female voice say. There was some shuffling before someone spoke again. "Casey, open your eyes," Dr. Carlton's voice filled the silent air. He's the family doctor, the doctor we always get for our family. I tried and it didn't work again. Damn it. OPEN! "Open your eyes," Matt's soft voice filled my ears and my eyes finally opened slowly. There was a blinding light and I blinked a few times to adjust my eyes to it. When I could finally see properly, I looked up and saw those familiar, breathtaking brown eyes. "Casey," he said, sounding relieved. "Hey," I said and was surprised at how dry my voice was. "Water," doctor said to the nurse that the female voice came from before. I stared into Matt's welcoming eyes as the nurse got the water. No words were needed to be said, the eyes told all the words.

CHAPTER 32

"Casey," my dad whispered and then gasped. He ran to my bed but dropped to his knees right before me. "Dad," I croaked and tried to sit up which resulted with my whole body aching like hell. Matt immediately helped me into a painless sitting position. I looked around the room to see Dr. Carlton, a few nurses, Matt's parents, Jake and Jonah. "Dad," I croaked again. A tear fell down his cheeks as he looked up at me. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "Dad, it's not your fault," I said and he shook his head. "It IS my fault. I'm sorry, butterfly. I promise, I'll find the cure for the poison. I won't let anything happen to you, I promise," he said quietly. It was almost a whisper and I almost had to strain to hear it. I didn't know what to say so I just nodded. I was about to say something again when a pain ripped through me. It was like the pain I felt at the abandoned factory and when I first woke up. I couldn't contain my scream anymore and the next thing I know, the air was filled with my screams. My body was bent over and the doctor and nurses weren't trying to do anything. They all just stood there with pain written all over their faces. Dad just stayed on the ground, looking like he was getting madder and madder. Matt held my shoulders and just tried to comfort me which didn't work when I was in so much pain. It wasn't like anything I've felt before. I couldn't see the reactions of Jonah, Jake and Matt's parents. When the pain stopped, I fell back in bed and panted. "Fuck. What the hell was that?" I said in between gasps. "I-It's-" Dr. Carlton tried to say but was interrupted when Dad abruptly stood up and stormed out of the room. I was trying to catch my breath. "It's the effect of the poison. It causes you pain every few hours, minutes, maybe even seconds. It depends on how long you've had the poison in your system," Jonah said and I saw him sitting on the bed, wiping the sleep from his eyes. "Sorry I woke you up," I said, trying to lighten the mood. "Nah, it's alright. Why'd dad leave?" he asked and I immediately grew confused. "Dad?" I said aloud. "Oh right. He hasn't told you yet," Jonah said and fixed his pillows with one arm. He couldn't use the other one since it was the side that got shot. "What do you mean?" I asked, growing more confused by the minute. He was about to answer when Dr. C cleared his throat. "Excuse me but Jonah, you seem to know a lot about this poison," he said. Jonah nodded then said, "Oh yeah, I was given the exact same poison a few years ago." I looked at Dr. C and he looked like his eyes brighten. "Well, would you mind if you talked to the scientists John had hired to find the cure to this poison? They would probably need all the information they can get on it," he said and hopped of f the bed. "Sure, if it helps cure Casey," he almost shouted and him and the Dr. C and a nurse were out of the room. "Excuse me, Ms. Bryson. How are you? Do you need anything?" I heard the nurse's soft voice. "Huh? Oh, I'm alright. Nope, I don't need anything." She nodded then started checking on some machines and then a clipboard. I didn't notice it yet but there were tubes in my arm that were connected to a few machines and an IV drip. Did I say how much I hate hospitals now? Well, if I didn't, I'm saying it now. I HATE HOSPITALS. I've been in the hospital like how many times this summer break? Speaking of summer break, there are only 2 weeks of freedom left until school starts. Oh shit.