CHAPTER 28

CHAPTER 28

[Jonah's POV]

I woke up to the sound of leaves swaying in the blowing wind. I opened my eyes and stood up from my lying position on the ground. I looked around and saw that I was in a meadow. It was beautiful. There were pink, purple, yellow and many more colors of flowers. It smelled like lavender and the smell intoxicated me. I inhaled it and closed my eyes. The feeling was unexplainable. It's like everything feels so real but at the same time it feels like it's not. I opened my eyes again and looked around. The trees were dancing with the wind. I saw a path that lead to somewhere. I couldn't see passed the trees but I could tell that it was pretty bright wherever it led to. I walked along the path and started following it. There were trees and bushes all bordering the path and even though it was pretty dark, it was beautiful. It started smelling like the sand and saltwater and it started getting brighter. When I got out of the forest, I was on a beach. The scenery was beyond beautiful. The sun looked like it was starting to go down but it looked like it was frozen. The sunlight casted a yellow light over the water and made it look like it was sparkling. I smiled and inhaled the salty smell. I opened my eyes again to see a big rock and a beautiful girl in a white dress sitting on it. She had strawberry blonde hair that was blowing everywhere because of the wind. When I got a bit closer, she started to look like...Casey? "Casey!" I screamed. The beautiful girl turned her head around and I saw those familiar blue eyes. She frowned for a second but it was soon replaced with a smile. "Jonah..." she whispered but it was loud enough for me to hear. "Hey," I said and started walking to her. I didn't notice what I was wearing until then. I was in this white, loose, buttoned up shirt and white pants. Casey was in this white dress that stopped right before her ankles. I climbed up the rock and sat down next to her. When I looked at her face, she looked like she was in deep thought. "Are you alright?" I asked her. She turned to me and frowned. "No...do you know where we are?" she said. I was confused. Why was she sad about being in a place so amazing like this? Wait, I think I've been here before but only in a...dream? Well, it was a dream I had when I passed out one time after getting beaten up. "Well, no, but I've been here before. In a dream," I said and her frown grew deeper. "You've been here before?" she asked and I nodded. She sighed and closed her eyes. Wait, it was a dream before but I was alone. Now she's in this dream too? I'm so confused. Is this really a dream? "This, where we are, it's like the place between heaven or hell and earth," she said and looked back at the beautiful scenery. "What?" I asked, still confused. "This is where God decides where we go, heaven, hell or back to earth. But there's something else," she said and paused and turned her head to look at me. I nodded, telling her to go on. "You have to choose between life on earth or immortality." Immortality? Does that mean heaven? Or hell? Well, I get what she meant by choosing between life on earth or immortality? She meant that I needed to choose between dying and living. Well, I know the answer to that already, Living. I know I have a real shitty life but hey, who knows? Life might get better? I'm still 15 and I've got a long way to go. I nodded and looked at her. Then something dawned on me. "Wait, does that mean we're practically fighting for our lives right now on earth?" I said and she nodded. "I know why I'm here but I don't know why you're here?" she said and looked down at her lap.

"Hey, it's alright. Everything's gonna be okay. You're okay and I'm okay. I've decided on living. It's gonna be okay."

"No, it won't. Jonah, I'm dying. You know what Damon said and I'm not sure I wanna go back to go through that torture." She's talking about the poison.

"Casey, I know what you mean and I know what it feels like. I've been through it before. I can tell you that it's not...nice but you know what? I'll be there for you, I'll help you through it."