CHAPTER 37

CHAPTER 37 

[Still Matt's POV] 

Did you hear that? Did you fucking hear that?

Jake's words kept echoing through my head. I can't believe it. I was so happy. I wasn't gonna lose her. I won't lose her. I could almost die of happiness. My thoughts were interrupted by my phone vibrating in my pocket. I took it out and pressed the green call button without looking at who it was. "Hello?" I answered and waited for a reply. I could hear breathing but it was so deep and it sounded like Darth Vader. "Hello, Matt," the person answered in a monstrous voice. It was like one of those voices you'd hear in a movie when someone was kidnapped. "Who the hell is this? Stop messing with me," I demanded and the guy chuckled. Jake and Jonah sent me questioning looks. Our parents were all outside talking to the doctor and the two guys. "You are so stupid, no offense. You didn't even see me escape when the police came but don't worry. I'm long gone by now. You won't ever see me again," he said and it made chills run down my back. He laughed again and I gripped my phone tightly in my hand. "You're wrong! We'll fucking find you, whoever you are," I hissed. He laughed again. "Oh, that's where you are wrong. Remember this, you will never be safe," he said. I was practically shaking with anger. "Who the fuck is this?!" I screamed. "I'll give you a hint. My name starts with a 'b'," he said and started laughing. Before I could say anything else, he hung up. I groaned in frustration and threw my phone on the floor. "Dammit!" I screamed. Bruno, fucking Bruno. I forgot all about him. "Who was that?" Jake asked and came closer. I looked down at the floor and saw that my phone was split into a few parts. "Bruno. I think he's coming after us," I said slowly and Jake's eyes widened. "Are you serious?" he asked and I nodded. "We have to do something!" Jonah shouted and I sighed. "What the hell can we do? He said we wouldn't be able to find him again. He said that we're not safe," I told them and Jake groaned. "I thought it was all over," he said. "I know," I sighed. I took Casey's hand in mine and kissed her cheek. "But all I care about right now is keeping everyone safe," I stated. The both of them nodded. "We have to tell Dad," Jonah said and stood up. "No, if we tell them, they might try to find a way to get him and it might just cause another problem," I said. They both nodded when they realized what I said was right. "If something else happens, we can tell them but right now, this is kept between all three of us," I said. "Okay," Jake said and ran a hand through his hair.  I let go of Cay's hand and picked up what was left of my phone and thew it in the trash. "What the hell can we do? We're not safe," Jake said. "Well, Mom and Dad has guards everywhere," Jonah said. "Oh, right," Jake said with a nod. "They should get the cure soon and we'll get out of here. We'll hide until we know we're safe," I said and they both looked at me. "That's not a pretty bad idea," Jake said. "And I know the perfect place," Jonah told us with a smile. "What are you talking about?" Jake asked patting Jonah on the shoulder. I listened as the guys talked but I was more focused on Casey. I sat down on the edge of the bed and cupped her face in my hand. I rubbed her cheek with my thumb and smiled. "Well, when my family was still alive," he started with a sad smile,"my dad bought this island, we were pretty rich, and we went there every holiday. It was awesome. It was our own place to go, our paradise, our secret. We'd go all the way to Cape Horn then from there, we'd go by our private jet to the island. My sister called it Hunter Island. Nobody, even our relatives or friends, knew. It was only us and some of our workers. I don't think 'Damon', as Casey would say, knew about it so it'll be safe," he said and by the end, his face was red. "You okay?" a voice croaked and we all looked down to Casey. We were all so focused on Jonah that we forgot all about her. She started coughing and I was about to get her water but she stopped me. "It's okay," she whispered. I nodded. "Are you okay? Jake, go get the doctor," I said. I went back to Casey and she looked up at me. "I'm fine. Honestly, I feel better than I did before," she said. She grinned at me and I sighed. "Should you even be awake? You just passed out," I said. "Matt, I'm not tired. Stop worrying about me," she said and pulled the covers around her more. I chuckled and she stuck her tongue out at me. "Are you okay, Jonah?" she asked and I looked at him. He was smiling at us now. "Terrific," he exclaimed, clasping his hands together. He walked over and kissed Casey's forehead. "Eh, so many people have been kissing me," she groaned playfully. "So you don't like me kissing you?" I asked with fake sadness. "No! I love it! Wait, I mean that it's al-it's….uh…yeah-" she stammered and I laughed. "Hey, it's okay. I was only joking," I said and took her hand in mine. She giggle and squeezed my hand. The door suddenly opened and the doctor came in with Jake. "Hey, Casey," he greeted and she waved lightly at him. He smiled and started checking her vitals. "How you feeling?" he asked. "Just a bit sore but I feel better," she croaked. "Well, that's great," he said and I smiled. "You seem fine so I'll just go. I have something to do but if you need me, I'll be here before you can say 'butterscotch'," he told her and she giggled. "Okay," she replied. He nodded and then left with a goodbye. When he was gone, Casey asked Jonah about the island he was talking about. "It sounds amazing. I wanna go there," she said. "We'll go there for sure when you're better," I told her and she grinned at me. "What about school?" Jake asked and we all looked at him. "Oh, yeah," Casey groaned and I sighed. "Well, considering everything that's happened. I think it's okay for us to skip for a while," I said. They all agreed with me. "I miss going to the beach," Casey sighed. "Then we'll go there as soon as possible," I told her. She smiled at me. It was quiet for a while. Jonah was talking to Jake quietly and Casey and I were doing the same. The silence was broken by Casey's coughing. At first, it started slowly but then she didn't stop. After a few seconds, she started coughing up blood and we all started panicking. Jake ran out to get the doctor and I made her sit up. The blankets and her clothes were starting to stain with blood. I rubbed her back as we waited for the doctor. He came and he gave her a towel and then started checking the machines and stuff. A few nurses came and from there, we were all forced out of the room. Outside, our parents had started gathering and Janey was here too. I picked her up and balanced her on my hips. She smiled at me and hugged me. "What happened?" Cay's dad asked when he saw my stained shirt. "She just started coughing blood," I said with a frown. After that, I didn't listen to what they were talking about anymore. I excused myself with Janey and we went to the room where everyone was staying. I picked up the backpack of clothes somebody had gotten me and I pulled out a shirt and let Janey down. She followed me to the bathroom and I pulled my shirt off. I put her on the counter and she watched me carefully. "What's that?" she asked, seeing the blood on my arms. "Uhm…it's blood," I told her and put the shirt on. I washed my arms and dried them. I picked Janey up and I carried her out to the hall again. Mom saw us and she reached out for Janey. I gave her to Mom and she wanted to be let down. I ruffled her hair and she started whining. Mom tried make her stop but nothing would work so she decided to take her to the cafeteria to get something to eat. I went to where my Dad, Jake's dad, and Cay's parents were talking to the doctor. "Her body's starting to shut down, we're running out of time." 

[3rd Person's POV] 

The two scientists rushed around the laboratory, looking for a way to help them figure it out. Sergei was at a computer, looking for information about the poison that would help them and Fred was at a microscope studying a sample of the poison. It was incredible. If it was touched by anything, it would multiply greatly. It was incredible but it was also terrifying. It was definitely deadly. They had almost no rest at all and they had been working straight for a couple of days already. They were so close and they knew it. "I got it!" Sergei shouted and Fred looked at him in disbelief. "Are you sure?" he asked him and Sergei nodded. He walked over and mixed in something with what they already had. Even though they weren't sure it was ready, they called Cay's dad and the doctor. They were hoping it would work. It had to work. They were running out of time.