Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

"Jake!"

I missed my jerk of a cousin. Of course it had only been a few hours since I last saw him but the darkness that took over me, it scared the hell out of me. It made me feel like I was alone.

"Get your butt over here before I hurt myself!" I said, more like shouted at him and stretched my arms out to hug him.

Laughter filled the room and he moved to my side. I wrapped my arms around his neck tightly and his around my waist. I again ignored the aching of my body and enjoyed this moment. When we pulled away, he was grinning. I smiled back at him and fell back in the bed. I sighed and patted the spot next to me, telling Matt to sit down. He did and he took my hand in his. He turned to Jake and then back to me with a new look on his face, the look of sadness.

"What happened?" he asked in a voice not much louder than a whisper. I closed my eyes then opened them again to see Matt and Jake's pained eyes before I started telling them everything.

"Well, you guys left and then I was staying in the living room when I heard glass shattering. I knew it was a window since I could hear the wind and the rain louder," I stopped and took in a deep breath.

I looked at their reactions before continuing.They were both looking at me with questioning looks, telling me to go on but I know that they were scared of what I was going to say next.

"Well, I called you, Matt, and that's when it happened. I went looking around for a weapon just in case like you said to and that's when I saw...it." Both of their faces told me that they knew I was talking about the blood on the wall. My focus turned to the window. I looked out, not at the view but just into space.

"A promise made is a debt unpaid." What the hell is that supposed to mean? I don't owe anyone that much that they'd want to hurt me for whatever they want. Who was that man? What does he want? Do I owe him anything? No. I thought about it for what seemed like eternity and I jumped when someone touched my cheek. I looked at Matt and he looked concerned at my reaction.

"Sorry, baby. Are you okay?" he asked and I looked at Jake who also looked concern.

"Uh, yeah, I'm fine. You just shocked me, that's all. Where was I?" This time Jake answered, "You were telling us about seeing...uhm...it?"

"Oh, right, yeah. So, I saw it and it scared the crap out of me. Then I knew someone was there with me. I turned around and there was a man. He was dressed in all black. All I could see were his eyes, the right one pitch black and the left, grayish blue."

I shuddered at the image and Matt squeezed my hand. I gave him a small, pained smiled and went on.

"He stepped closer and I screamed. I was about to scream again when he grabbed me by my shoulders and threw me to the stairs." I remembered the pain in my back as I said this. I could see anger rise in the both of them and to distract them, I continued the story.

"I screamed again and he just walked away. The next thing I remember is passing out. I don't even know how I got this," I said lifting my left hand with the cast.

I remembered the scene in the ambulance when Matt took my hand and it hurt like hell. I don't remember at all how it broke. I looked at Matt who suddenly got upset. I cupped his cheek in my good hand and he looked up at me with sad eyes.

"I'm so, so sorry, Cay. This is my fault. If I didn't tell you to look for a weapon, you wouldn't have seen him and you wouldn't have gotten hurt," he said and I could hear the pain clear in his voice. I shook my head and cupped his other cheek with my bad hand which made it hurt a bit.

"No, it isn't, at all. This is not your fault, Matt. Even if I didn't look for a weapon, he would've found me and still hurt me."

His eyes filed with anger as I said the last three words. He moved his face closer to me and kissed my lips softly. It felt so good to have his lips on mine again. We pulled away at the same time and touched our foreheads together. I sighed and closed my eyes, feeling sleepy again. "I am so sorry. I wasn't there to protect you. I should've stayed with you instead of going to the club." I shook my head lightly, managing not to break our touch then opened my eyes again.

"Matthew, why do you have to keep saying sorry?" He chuckled then kissed my forehead. He pulled away to sit next to me and wrapped his arms around me. I turned to face Jake to see him smiling. Yay! The happy mood is back! I smiled back at him and the doors flew open and my parents, Jake's parents and Matt's parents, I think, came in. I could see the resemblance. Jake had his mom's beautiful, brown eyes and his dad's black hair. He looked so much like them. My mom ran to me and practically killed me in her death hug.

"Oh my goodness, honey! How are you?! Are you okay?! What happened?!" my mom said a little bit too loudly then turned to Matt and Jake to give them death glares.

"Where were you two and why weren't you there to protect my baby girl?!" Matt and Jake smiled at her sheeply. "Mom! Stop! It's not their fault. Ugh, God, you're giving me a headache! So loud."

I really was getting a headache at her loudness. I put my hand up to my head and squeezed my eyes shut. Matt stroked my hair and kissed my forehead which made me feel a little bit better.

"Oh, honey, I'm sorry. I was just worried. We all were," she said in a softer voice. I sighed and then nodded. Matt pulled me on to his lap and I nuzzled my face into his neck. I kissed his jaw and started to get sleepier. They started talking loudly again and I groaned.

"Ssh," was all I could get out before I fell asleep.

__________

I know, the chapters are getting shorter. Sorry!

Like it? Hate it it? Love it? Hope you did! :) Please vote, comment, become a fan! Thanks for reading! Make sure to wait for the next chapters! :D Less than three! <3