bitter coffee and the blue eyed girl

authors note : i've gone through and edited some of this and let me just say, it's not the best. i wrote this in middle school 😭 if you're looking for something better/more serious i'm writing a new story now! and i swear it's much better. check that out if you're interested! i've been working pretty hard on it, it deserves the hype <3

set: May 2017 (billie 16 you 17)
I sip my coffee as I type away at a report. my junior year of high school was coming to an end quick and with all the school I've missed I was working day and night to get the grades I needed to pass. bouncing from foster home to foster home since I was 6 had killed not only my social life but my grades, attendance, and overall performance at school.

I had recently been moved to a new home in California, my former home was in Dayton, Ohio and I had lived there for close to a year. it honestly sucked leaving the family, they really cared about me. once my foster moms baby was born they just didn't have the money to take care of me, the new baby, aswell as their 3 other adopted children, and I understood that. they promised to keep in touch, and everyday since I've left my mom has texted me everyday.

as for my new foster parents, they aren't my favorite people in the world, bible thumpers as I would call them. Mark, my foster dad, is a terrible alcoholic. I've already seen him throw some pretty bad punches at his wife, Mary, and she just takes it. i feel bad for her, really, she's so faithful that god will take her in the right direction that she just takes every shitty thing everyone does.

flashes and loud chatter draws my attention to the window, a crowd of people surround a gray haired girl who struggled to get past them. one of the first things I notice about her is her outfit, a black shirt with blue lightning graphics, yellow shorts, yellow socks,and white shoes. as she walks closer to the shop, two men struggle to block screaming girls from her, instinctively she quickly enters the coffee shop. though clearly stressed, she still waves to her (what could only be) fans, blowing them a few kisses before walking to the counter. a little confused, I watch her has she approaches the boy working the shop.

"holy shit." the young barista's voice quivers "you're billie eilish." his hands shake as it hovers over the buttons of the cash register.

she smiles "you listen to my stuff?" she asks.

"oh yeah billie, all of it. all the unreleased stuff too, sHES brOKen, all the good stuff! you're like an icon." his lips tugged into a smile.

"oh jeez" she grins at him "thank you, man." there's a small pause as they both look at each other with smiles on their faces "would you mind if I got a hot chocolate, please?"

he types it in, "of course, yes." he fumbles for the cups "what size?" his hand continues to shake nervously.

"fuck it, large." she smirks as she starts to reach for her pockets.

"no no, it's on the house." he says grabbing a large cup and filling the cup with hot chocolate.

she shakes her head, sliding a 50 on the table "anything left over is the tip. I love you." she grins at him, now examining the coffee shop.

her eyes widen when they see me sitting in the corner, I break our stare looking back down to my essay.

"yo, mind if I sit?" she asks me, walking to my table and pressing her finger tips onto the table "just till the crowd outside dies down."

"no, not at all. go ahead." I clear some of the papers I have scattered around the table.

"why you alone?" she asks me, watching the barista bring out her drink "remind me to take a picture with you before I leave, okay babe?"

he nods "okay bil, thank you bil."

"homework," I tell her "failing all my classes, figured I should start applying myself. that and I don't really know anyone yet."

"a good idea." she smirks "you're new in town?" she asks.

"fairly new yeah, it's been a week. i've lived here a few times before though."

"oh cool cool." she sips her drink "where you from?"

"all over the place. originally around here, but my last place was in dayton."

"dayton?"

"my bad. it's ohio, dayton ohio."

"oh okay I got you, I got you."

"how about you miss movie star? what's up with the mob of 13 year olds out there?" I snicker.

"I write music, those would be the fans."

"stressful?" I ask her, closing my computer.

"yeah, but I still love them." she smiles out at the group, slowly losing its members.

"you from here?"I ask her

"born and raised."

one of the men poke their heads into the shop, he's younger taller and has floppy dirty blonde hair "c'mon billie, we gotta get back to the car, moms waiting."

she groans "hey, this might be weird" she grabs one of my pens off the table, gives it to me, then offers her hand to me "write your snap." billie tells me.

"ooo okay" I smile, a teethy genuine smile "and insta." I scribble down my name and socials.

"now you know someone." she smirks "I never got your name?"

"it's y/n" I say "and you're, billie eilish?"

she scrunches up her nose "ha ha, funny." she smiles walking over to the counter to take a picture with the boy, signs a napkin for him, gives him a powerful hug, tells him she loves him again, then finds her way to the door "text me." she says pointing at me as she slips out of the shop.

"will do."

the barista holds his hand to his heart, letting out a gasp "holy shit."

"so who is she?" I ask him from my seat.

"you don't know?" he asks me, both of his eyebrows raised high "she's a smaller artist. well for now at least, she's going to blow up at some point " he pulls out his phone, his hands still shaking. "listen to ocean eyes."

I pull out my phone putting a head phone in and playing the song, with a lack of a more sophisticated word, it went hard. it was incredible.

after the song ends I eagerly open my Instagram to find one new follow request and a new message then a snap notification "billieeilish added you!"

//
a lil throwback from the long time fans.