Chapter XV

*A week later*

I blinked to get rid of the sleep in my eyes and nudged Cath who was standing next to me in line

"Why are we up this early it's not even 4am yet"

"You're meeting the Daijur's family for the first time so it's better if you keep your head down and freeze in place. The young lord's temperament is nothing compared to the Queen and King."

"Oh, are Aouss's parents back? I always only see Aouss and Khaled I dind't know his parents lived here"

Cath's eyes glanced towards me and a look of worry filled her eyes.

"Not just his parents. Since the young lord was young the King started raising wife candidates with him. Now there's only three left... Don't go anywhere near them they're monsters with no grain of mercy in them. Aouss is still on your side and his blood is still in your veins so he'll protect you but... the three young misses will definitely be after you. You and their fiancé are close after all."

"Only three left? And what do you mean me and Aouss are close..." I rolled my eyes and she just sighed

"The others were killed by Aouss... Anyways just be careful and avoid them at all cost"

I rubbed the back of my neck and followed the long line into the main entrance hall

After twenty minutes or more approaching steps could finally be heard, my palms became wet from nervousness but I kept them held tight in front of me.

The steps were very slow, the whole scene reminded me of the first time I saw Aouss in the mansion and I found myself lost in the memories.

Ever since I met him my life has drastically changed. Instead of hating him I was cursing the fate that brought us together and blaming myself for taking that road that night.

"Father" Aouss's voice snapped me out of it and I raised my head completely forgetting about the rules.

As soon as I did so I could already feel chilling gazes on me suffocating me slowly.

"Take her down" The carefree words the man standing I front of me spoke froze my heart.

His hazel eyes were almost icy yellow, but as soon as they met mine they became instantly darker.

Two guards started heading towards me and I instinctively shrieked back holding my hands in front of me defensively.

Before they could make it two steps near me my vision was blocked by a man's sturdy back. I stared at it in confusion backing up even more. Then I realized the situation that was happening in front of me. Aouss had each of his hand in a guard's chest and just stood there not moving before taking his hands out. The two guards' lifeless bodies instantly dropped down to the floor.

All this time I held my breath and my face was becoming purple.

Khaled showed up out of nowhere with a large bowl filled with water. Aouss took his time washing his hands before slowly walking behind me and putting his hands on my shoulders leisurely.

"So, Father, how was your trip?"

The man he just called father had his eyes on me the whole time, his furrowed eyebrows and clenched jaw made my heart tremble.

"You..."

"Honey! We just came back let's first rest and talk later over dinner, okay?" The angry father finally relaxed his expression when a gorgeous woman in a long green maxi dress sweetly put her hands on his chest.

I dind't get the chance to relax as she turned around towards us, her cold green eyes scanning my body making me feel extremely uncomfortable and exposed.

"We'll always get the chance to get rid of the trash later" My heart sank even more and I already considered myself 90% dead.

"Mother! Welcome back!" I was even more surprised by the cheerfulness of the voice of the man standing behind me. It didn't suit the current mood at all.

The couple gave us one last glance and walked away.

Finally breathing I wanted to crouch down from the dizziness but two strong arms sneaked around my waist and held me firm. I panicked feeling Aouss's breath on my neck

"The show is not over yet"

His lips moving against my neck with his husky low voice caused electric shocks to run all along my spine. My brain wasn't registering anything and I was barely being help up on my feet.

"Aouss!"

Three young women walked in from the front door one after the other, each of their eyes held hostility and hatred.

Aouss still had his arms tight around me and his head against mine.

"Oh, my you're back too. What a happy day we should hold a feast tonight" His voice was dull and monotone, his face always down at the side of my face and his hand playing with the ruffles at the end of the white apron that was sewn on the maid outfit. His breathing was calm and steady, I felt my nerves calming but the awkwardness of being watched by the three women that I knew for sure were his fiancées only grew.

In the back of my head I had to remind myself that he was doing all of this for his own reasons, that all of this was a play for him to achieve whatever goal he had set, or I didn't have the confidence to not have certain emotions for him I knew I mustn't have.

"You can go and rest now" his head ever so slightly raised up and without a second word the whole hall was emptied, maids and guards and the fiancées all alike were guided away by Khaled.

I was expecting Aouss to let go but unlike my expectations he tightened his arms even more making it impossible for me to even budge.

"Why are you doing this" the question that played over and over in my head unwillingly came out as a very breathy whisper. A part of me wished he didn't hear me while the other wanted to hear his reply so badly.

"Because..."

The more this word was left hanging in the silence the more my heart squeezed in an uncomfortable pain I didn't understand.

"I don't have any more time. Adina I won't be able to hold you like this again" there was an indescribable pain in the last few words he spoke, my heart twisted in pain and tears slipped down my cheeks.

His arms slowly loosened and I found myself wanting to hold into him. Even more tears started falling and the pain in my chest was unbearable. I was hurting so much but I dind't know why.

Why am I crying? Why am I hurting? Why do I want him? Why do I already miss him? Why am I sad? Why? Why?! WHY?!

As soon as I felt Aouss disappear, my body collapsed on the floor and I started sobbing holding my chest tightly.

It hurts. It hurts so much. It hurts more than when I died. It hurts more then when all the bones in my body were shattered. Why did I become such an emotional mess? What is happening to me?

Aouss... who are you to me?