Chapter VII

I once had a family. It may have not been a big one, but I loved my little family. My two adoptive parents were the sweetest. They may have never actively played with me as a kid, I blame that on their advanced age, but they were the best cuddlers I've ever cuddled with. Not that they had any competition.

Both mommy and daddy, what I always wished to call them but they were too embarrassed in front of the neighbors as they already have grand kids older than I am, used to always read me amazing bedtime stories and I would always pick one of the characters and imagine myself as them.

The stories my parents told me were... strange, even little me was always wondering why none of my friends in school ever heard of them. I felt left out every time the kids started talking about fairytales they all knew but I... I knew none of them.

During one late dinner, I mustered the courage and asked if they knew any famous fairytales and told them about all the princesses' stories my friends were sharing in school.

Daddy laughed and pated my head, an action I loved and considered a treat. Then I heard him say: "Those are no fairytales, what I'm sharing with you are secrets not known to many"

He smiled at me warmly and we resumed dinner. After that, I've never spoke of the matter again.

I felt as if I was drowning under water. My body was sinking but I just let it happen enjoying being hidden in the depth of the sea. I felt safe. For the first time I wasn't thinking, I wasn't feeling, I was just there, existing.

I felt my back gently hit the bottom and the water drained from all around me leaving me feeling naked. My eyes were slowly opening and the calmness I felt before was leaving my body. Discomfort crawled in and I grimaced feeling my every muscle throb.

I sat up in the comfy bed I was laying on taking in the beautiful white and creamy beige room surrounding me. It felt cozy and very familiar. It reminded me of my own apartment, only bigger and thousand times more luxurious... and clean.

Just as a very tasty scent hit my nostrils, a maid walked in pushing a tray cart full of dishes. As soon as the tray was inside the room, the young maid left gently closing the door behind her.

I got up ignoring my protesting body and went straight for the bacon with cheese and toast moaning at each and every bite. The food on the tray that seemed to be 'too much' a while ago was gone in minutes.

I went back to the bed feeling satisfied. I stared at the ceiling for so long not really thinking of anything. All of my questions were answered, and I felt stupid for being blind to things all this time.

Vampires, unlike what the legends say, are demon-human hybrids, a creation that was the grave mistake of a witch a very long time ago. They had qualities of both humans and demons, making them the perfect creation the history ever known, and the scariest one, as they have no weaknesses. You'll probably wonder, so why didn't they take over the world then?

They did.

There's only a handful of vampires that were created by that witch a long time ago and they are the same that are ruling our world in the shadows and doing whatever they want with us, in secret.

Or so father told me every night before sleep.