Chapter XIII

For the first time since I was brought here, I was allowed to go outside. The huge entrance door that I would glance at every time I'm cleaning the area was right in front of me and I was allowed to go through it. My heart raced in a weird excitement as I slowly walked down the last few steps.

I was outside!

The huge fountain in the middle greeted me as little birds flew around it playing and chirping happily, the sun that I missed so much was dazzling warming my body instantly. This was the life I missed.

Soon, a black car parked in front of us. Khaled opened the door for me but I instead stepped back staring at my feet. I was bare footed!

I was excited to go outside, to leave this place. Even thought I knew I was just accompanying Aouss for his business I still wanted to leave this place for even a moment. But not bare footed!

As if magically, a pair of white sandals dropped in front of my feet and I almost stupidly checked the sky if not for the tall figure hovering over me.

"Those will do... for now." I didn't miss the hesitation in Aouss's voice but the black sunglasses he wore made it impossible for me to see through him which got me even more curious.

Khaled helped me get seated then hopped in the passenger seat. My eyes were glancing at a moody Aouss sitting next to me, I could almost see him snarl at the door for not closing properly but I was soon discovered and had to avert my gaze. This man's personality is all over the place, it's impossible to figure him out.

Along the way, I was nervously fidgeting with my fingers; the car was spacious and there was a good distance between me and Aouss but I still could smell his very familiar fragrance and that alone was doing... things to me.

"So, Khaled... how did you... erm... become a... vampire?" I wasn't expecting a reply, I even wanted to be scolded by Aouss and hate him for it just to distract myself. The silence was too much for me to bear.

"I don't remember"

"Oh."

I was just about to ask him about how he started working here when I noticed him stare at Aouss nervously, I knew I wasn't supposed to be asking. Well they can keep all their secrets to themselves, if it was up to me I would never meet them in the first place.

I turned my attention to the window noticing we now were entering the city. 'Shit Shit Shit I'm so stupid I should've memorized the path!' I thought, my body getting stiff. I just glared at the window and looked back behind us knowing I lost my chance.

"You can try when we're going back"

"YES, that's right!"

.

..

...

"Huh?"

I glanced back at Aouss wide eyed. He had his head resting back lazily slightly leaning towards me. The black sunglasses still covered his eyes but I could feel him staring at me.

"It's not hard to figure out your thoughts." His arms were crossed in front of his chest and his voice had a hint of sleepiness and annoyance.

He can't actually read minds, can he?

"That's not what I was thinking about" I tried my best to make my voice sound confused. After all, he let me go out which I know maids even the ones who've been working for twenty to thirty years in the castle are never allowed to. If he figures out I was still planning to run away, that is definitely something that will irritate him.

"Considering you did runaway successfully, you'll go back to your little cozy apartment? I'll just come pick you up again. You'll hide at someone's house? You're just going to get them killed. You'll go overseas and never come back? Can you even afford that? Oh... You'll probably go seek help from the police..." he tilted his head down his sunglasses slipping from his nose as his dark red pupils stared straight at me "Should I turn you into a wanted criminal to block that possibility as well?"

My breath was getting heavier and my eyes teary, it's like in just a few seconds all the hope I had of one day going back to my old life was shattered. It's as if I was dreaming all along only to wake up and realize in reality nothing will be as I wanted it to.

"Master..." Aouss seemed to snap out of it by Khaled as his eyes started regaining some of their green but his eyes never left mine.

My brain wasn't registering anything anymore. The despair was taking over me and the world around me was covered in black fog. I could hear my sobs but I was trapped inside my unconsciousness. My hands hugging my body tightly and my head buried in my chest, I just despised this life of being trapped and restricted and 'owned' more than anything. The sadness in me was getting stronger and stronger and it felt like I spent an eternity in a black hole before I was literally shaken out of it.

"Adina! Hey answer me are you okay?" I raised my head noticing the car was parked and Khaled had my door open while crouching in front of me his eyes full of concern. Did I just have a panic attack?

I let my legs go and my body regained back it's calmness after noticing Aouss was nowhere to be seen.

"I'm fine. Sorry." I stared at Khaled through my wet lashes as he sighed dropping his head down.

"It's not your fault, even the most composed people will lose their minds under the pressure of vampire royalty, heck even vampires can't stand it"

After clearing my head, I knew this was not normal. I was not so weak of a person to fall for words like those and Khaled's words only confirmed my suspicion.

"Is that a thing... you vampires can do?"

"No, only the ones with royal blood can do that."

"That?" I questioned still not sure what actually happened

"Vampires royalty can't read minds but they can control others thoughts, emotions, logic, and just alter them however they want to. That gives them the ability to make anyone submit to them or... you can only imagine the things they can do to people" Khaled sighed yet again and I was in awe at how much emotion he was showing, very different to the man that only followed his master's orders like a robot.

"Listen" Khaled put both his hands on my shoulders forcing me to face him "Master didn't mean to hurt you, he was just... in a very bad mood and lost control over himself"

"It's fine it was nothing" I shrugged showing him I wasn't bothered by what happened and that I'm fine, but Khaled's expression sunk even more and he sighed once again

"It's not. If Master didn't stop on time you would have fallen into a coma, and having his blood in your system makes you even more vulnerable you could've never wakened up from that"

My heart trembled realizing the situation wasn't as easy as getting a 'panic attack'.

"So... Where is he?" I asked looking around and not believing this vampire 'royalty' will leave his car and servants just to make me feel at ease, after all, even if I do fall into coma I doubt he would really care.

Khaled showed no sign of replying to that question and just patted me on the back and went back to sit in the car.

"We're going back" I pouted realizing my dream of walking around the city again was not going to come true. I just rested my head on the window staring at where Aouss was sitting before.

As I thought, nothing good will come from staying close to this vampire.