chapter sixty two

Another country club event was not how I wanted to spend my Christmas holiday. Christmas was bad enough as it was, without having to sit through another five hour country club event in which we had to sit and watch people walk up on stage and showcase their talent, some of which was virtually non-existent.

I had to put up with it, year after year, since I can remember, the Christmas talent show, the Easter talent show, along with the other countless country club events I had endure throughout a year.

The one thing that was going to get me through this year was the fact that Niall would be there, he’d provide me with a quick escape. That was our thing. We’d escape, escape from people, from judgement, from reality.

I pulled the dreaded jumper over my head, it was red with an Aztec pattern which somehow was supposed to link to all things Christmas. I tucked the jumper in to the black skater skirt I wore.

I felt like a doll, and not in a good way. Id been squeezed in to a jumper with a skirt and tights, I had makeup on and my hair done, I felt horrible. I just wanted to strip down to the bare minimum, leggings and a jumper not all this, when nobody was even going to give me two looks.

I trudged down the stairs giving a faint smile to my father who stood by the door, wearing a normal shirt and trousers, somehow my mother wasn’t wearing a jumper or anything near Christmassy, just a black pencil dress. I found it unfair that it was only us who were forced in to wearing clothes like this, although I couldn’t hide the joy and amusement I felt when Matthew walked downstairs angrily wearing his own Christmas jumper, blue and much thicker than mine.

“What?” he grumbled as I shrugged hiding my smile. I still wasn’t sure what was going on with Caitlin and Matthew, I assumed they were still together, I hadn’t mentioned the night of the party, with Zayn, mostly because I forgot about it with the things that followed with finding Niall and Chloe.

The smell of cinnamon and pine hung through the air as we walked through the marble lobby, in to the large hall lined with tables and a stage up the front that made me cringe uncontrollably.

As we walked to our table, I looked around for Niall but couldn’t spot him anywhere, I had some hope that he would be at our table, but all that hope was splattered across the wall when my parents sat down at a table with our names printed on place cards, sitting opposite me was Ben’s mother and father and of course, Ben himself,

I was almost certain I came with an evident unlucky streak, running in to ben almost twice in two weeks was something I could have lived without, but nonetheless here I was sitting opposite him as my brother squeezed next to me, smiling awkwardly at Ben before glancing back at me amusedly. I knew he’d find this funny, no way could he transform in to the sympathetic kind of brother, no, he had to be the pathetic kind.

“Ben” I smiled politely as he nodded towards me, before turning back to the stage, despite it being empty. The room started to fill up pretty quickly as I felt someone tap my shoulder, turning around quickly as I was met with Niall’s fierce eyes.

“Seriously?” he muttered crouching down, resting two of his fingers on the floor as his other hand found its way to my knee, supporting his balance.

“I know.” I sighed as he smiled softly.

“Its okay Im right behind you” he muttered jerking his head backwards slightly as I looked towards the table behind mine where his mother and father were seated, his chair literally behind mine, empty.

He stood up, cupping my cheek before pressing his lips softly against mine, running his tongue over my bottom lip before walking back to his seat, slouching down and folding his arms over his chest.