CHAPTER 30 - L&D

Emily jolted out of her sleep from an aching pain. The pain was radiating on her lower back. She suddenly noticed her panties and bed were soaked. 'SHIT'

 She touched the wetness with her finger then brought it to her nose. It didn’t smell like urine, which only met one thing.

Her water broke.

She couldn’t believe she had slept through her contraction; she was made to believe they were too painful to ignore.

She got up her bed then walked to the bathroom. In there, she cleaned up then put a max pad to soak the water that kept coming out. She also put on some new panties and changed from her night gown to a yoga pants and a black sweater. She then grabbed her hospital bag from the closet. She had packed a couple of days ago hoping and praying the baby would come any minute.

She was still in her 39th week and was a couple of days from her due date. Her OBGYN had told her she might make it past her due date since this was her first pregnancy. She was so glad that wasn’t the case. She didn’t want to wait any more than she needed to.

She dropped her bag by the door then walked into Ash's room. Been in his room brought back memories she was trying desperately to forget. It had been just a day since she slept with him and was asked to get out after. She had avoided him since then, too ashamed to look him in the face, especially because she felt she had taken advantage of him.  

She saw he had another occupant on the bed with him.

Cindy.

She had seen him come home earlier holding her hands while they walked up the stairs. She avoided making eye contact with either one of them by shoving her face into the novel she was reading. Neither one of them acknowledged her.

 Emily was surprised they were still together. She had thought after the big reveal that they would be over. Ash said himself he didn’t care for Cindy but for some reason he kept her around. She concluded the sex must be pretty good if he kept going back to her. As Cindy’s friend, Emily knew how experienced Cindy was with sex; she had seen it first hand when they were living together.

She walked over to him then gently tapped him on his shoulder.

“Ash wake up. I need to go to the hospital" she uttered in hush voice.

She sucked in a sharp breath when she felt that pain again. She rubbed her back trying to ease it a little as it continued to ache.

"Ash!! Wake up" she called out again when the pain subsided.

“What do you want?" He mumbled in the pillow without looking up.

 “I need to get to the hospital. My water broke”.

“So?" he asked instead.

"I need you to take me please" she looked at the clock on the night stand that read ‘3:15’

She wanted to curse out loud at the ungodly hour the baby decided to make his appearance. She realized this was her life now and been a mom meant doing things and waking up during ghost hours. She had to get mentally ready for her new life.

She looked down at Ash when she heard soft snores from him; he had gone back to sleep.

Seriously

"Ash wake up please" She tapped him again but this time harder than the first time.

"What? I'm sleeping so leave me alone" he grumbled getting agitated

 "Please I'm begging you". She pleaded, on the bridge of crying. She didn’t know why she felt like crying, maybe it was from fear of having this baby alone or Ash not willing to help her the one time she needed him the most but either way she was on the verge of tears.