Chapter 31

Emily felt someone rubbing her shoulder. She cautiously opened her eyes and was relieved when they obliged. The last time she tried to, they wouldn’t bulge. As soon as she opened them, she quickly shut them tight

Too much damn light. The light was almost blinding.

 "Mrs. Hurley. Can you hear me? I need you to wake up" A voice called out.

She tried again, this time opening her eyes one after the other. When both eyes were completely open, she found a young lady hovering over her. She blinked several times to get used to the light.

"Oh good. You are up" the women added.

Where am I? Emily wondered looking around the unfamiliar room. She felt disoriented and seem to not remember much.

"Hi, I'm Isabel, your nurse for the day" the lady continued introducing herself. Emily frowned at her. A nurse? Why would she need a nurse?

She tried to remember what might have happened to her for her to need a nurse but came up short.

A memory suddenly flashed in her head.

She remembered being in the hospital but why?

As she opened her mouth to ask the nurse why she needed a nurse, she was assaulted by flashes of memories.  

The hospital. Dr. Jackson. Amanda and someone wiping her fore head with a cold washcloths

 She sat up frantically looking around.

"Did my baby make it?" She desperately questioned the nurse. She remembered been in labor, her doctor trying to get her to deliver without emergency intervention and then nothing. She couldn’t remember what happened after wards.

‘Oh he is so cute’

‘You did it Ems’

Tidbits of memory came flooding back to her. She had the baby. She vaguely remembered having the body but no memory of ever holding him.

 Why didn’t she hold the baby?

Did he make it?

‘Please tell me he made it….she wordlessly asked as she looked at the nurse with eyes filling quickly with tears.

"Your baby is fine, he is being assessed in the nursery. He will be with you soon" The nurse reassured.

She sagged back in the bed visibly relieved. Thank God.

She was so scared she or the baby wouldn't make it.

The nurse told her she was there to check her bleeding and ask if she needed any pain medications.

Like a trigger, at the mention of pain medication, she suddenly realized she was feeling a stinging pain in her private area. She told her that she would like something for pain.

The nurse nodded then promised to bring her some pills.

"So how are you feeling?" Nurse Isabel asked as she checked Emily over starting with her breasts.

“Relieved” Emily answered honestly. That was putting it mildly; she couldn’t put how much relieved she felt knowing she and her baby made it out alive into words. Her whole pregnancy had been a huge scare. With the constant feeling of doom she was experiencing she really thought something would go wrong.

“You gave us quite a scare” Isabel commented as she checked Emily’s private area.

Emily asked her how and learnt that she had passed out after delivering the baby. She had been unconscious for several hours now. Isabel also mentioned that they had been trying to wake her up but each time she would stir but not wake up.