CHAPTER 1- NEW BEGINNING

Emily looked at the business card over, unconsciously tracing the number written boldly on it.

‘James Hurley’ she read out loud. She picked up her phone then dialed the number. But like a coward, she hung up before the first ring.

She groaned then threw the phone down on her neatly made bed.

‘Not everyone is a pervert’ she chastised herself. But what are the odds this man only wanted her for what he said and not a ploy to lure her into the privacy of his home?

Yes she was desperate but was she that desperate to walk purposely into the lion’s den?

It was quite suspicious to be offered a job out of the blue; she didn’t even apply or ask him for a job but he practically just offered it without even a second thought. Closing her eyes, she thought back to the day she met him.

"Welcome to Dave's cafe, how may I help you?" She asked cheerfully as a middle aged man with salt and pepper hair dressed impeccably stopped at the counter of the downtown café she worked at.

"Can I get coffee?, black?" he asked.  She nodded then proceeded to ask the size and if there was anything else he wanted.

"Ok that will be $5.25." He handed her ten dollars. She rang up his order then handed him back his change, which he then placed in the tip jar.

"Emily, it's going to take a couple of minutes, the machine is acting up" Cindy her co-worker said from the back. Emily turned to him to ask if it was ok with him.

He said it was fine and Emily nodded. An awkward silence engulfed them while they waited until he decided to break it.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help but overhear you complain to your co-worker about your hours being cut."

Emily nodded, a look of embarrassment on her face and said, "Yeah, they are cutting back here".

He looked concerned "Oh, that's too bad.” Emily was slightly taken back at his genuine concern for her when he didn’t even know her. That was a feeling she wasn’t used to getting from people especially men; usually they just tolerated her.

"You can come work for me, if you want." The man offered. Emily eyed him suspiciously, who goes around offering someone they don't know a job? She thought to herself.

"Work for you as what exactly?" she asked unable to suppress the bitchy-ness in her voice. She didn't trust men at all; anyone who was old enough to be her dad made her skin crawl since most of the ones she had be unfortunate to meet were nothing but pedophiles. Pedophiles that needed to be thrown in jail to rot there.

"As one of the helpers in my house. My wife and I talked about hiring someone to do the cleaning, to reduce the work load of the other workers."

Helpers? Emily wondered how many people they needed in the house and how big the damn thing was.

"We pay well and accommodation is free too," he added trying to persuade her.

Before Emily could respond, Cindy brought him his coffee. "There you go sir, sorry for the wait."

"It's ok dear." he nicely said to Cindy. "Here is my card Emily, if you want the job just give me a call." He handed her his business card. She cautiously took it like it would burn a hole on her skin

She read the name on the card out loud "James Hurley."

"That's me."

"Thanks."  She said absentminded still looking the card over

"No problem." He took his cup, saluted Cindy, and left.

“Emily, you sleeping?” a hushed voice called out drawing her away from the memory. She opened her eyes to find her roommate Cindy looking down at her. Emily took a deep breath then released it before sitting up. She shook her head ‘no” answering the question.