20

One Day
When The Sun Shone
& The Wind Blew
-•-•-
How glorious a day it was that day
When the winds blew across her skin
And the sunlit her pathway
Growing roses in her trail

It's sunny today. I'm not complaining. It's sunny, but even right now when the sun is at its peak, it is quite cool. That's bearable. I can live with that. As if my inner thoughts are heard by God, who must be in a very good mood today, another cool breeze rushes past my skin and I can't help but smile.

"It's a very good day today, right Isaac?" I look down at the child who has my handheld in his. His pouty face tilts up towards me and my smile turns into a grin.

"I'm still sleepy," Isaac grumbles but continues to walk with me, his small body rubbing against my legs more and more as we continue to make our way towards the bakery. A restaurant is next.

"Want me to carry you?" I ask the child. Behind me, I feel as Olly moves a little closer — maybe to grab all the paper bags and plastics I am carrying.

Still looking at me, Isaac's pout increases and the child slowly gives me a wonderful display of how an exaggerated sad nod.

I turn towards Olly with a grateful grin when he leans down and takes the bags from me without a word. "Thanks," I mouth at the man before turning back to my boy.

"Come," I lean down, extending my arms around his form and picking him up until I have his head tucked comfortably under my chin while his arms wrap around my neck with a familiarity that always warms with my heart. I smile.

This boy in my arms right now, I did not know him a few months ago, I'll admit. But right now, as I stand here with him in my arms — he is someone I love the most. And even if he isn't, he is. He is my son. And he always will be.

"Do you want to eat something?" I ask as we enter the bakery, smiling when the person at the counter turns to me at our entrance.

"That!" Isaac instantly points at the display of cookies in a jar and I glance at the attendant with a soft smile when she reaches towards the jar, "Do I pack these, ma'am?"

"Does it have peanut in them? My son is allergic to peanuts."

"Ah! I'm sorry ma'am, I think they do," The woman's smile turns apologetic, and I chuckle waving my hands before me dismissively, "It's alright. What about those ones?" I point towards the chocolate cookies that seem to have chocolate chips in them as well.

"No, they don't," The attendant grins back, looking relieved.

I turn towards Isaac instead, "The cookies you chose have peanut in them, sweetie. Do you want those chocolate cookies instead?" I ask, pointing towards the jar in question, "Or do you want something else now?" I add when I notice him looking towards a display of jam-rolls.

"Mummy, what are those?" Isaac whispers into my ears, his grip on my tighter.

"Those are called jam-rolls, Little Peanut," I whisper back, pecking his cheek afterward out of habit.

"Are they yummy?"

"Very but you can't have a lot at one time, okay?"

He answers with an enthusiastic nod.

"Can I have a jam-roll, a dozen of those chocolate cookies, a white bread, sliced, and three of those tarts, please?" I make a move towards the past of counter where there is a cash register and reach into my handbag for my wallet.