19

One Day
When the Flowers Bloomed
-•-•-
"Take responsibility of me"
These words held so much power to her
Enough to make the flowers in her chest bloom
Enough to water them too.

The feeling of guilt doesn't really mix well with happiness. Right now, as William continues to lead me towards the elevators by my hand, I can't help but feel a fitting blend of the two emotions.

I feel guilty because the hushed whispers we are slowly walking away from will continue to spread around the hospital. Eventually, that will become highly awkward for William.

I feel happy because, despite all this, William is still holding me by his side. He thinks this is the right thing to do. He thinks I'm good enough to not be kept hidden away. I'm still feeling his warm skin against mine.

When we come to stop in front of an elevator, I can only stand beside him and wait for the doors to open — Wait for some more people to see the man holding my hand.

Just then the doors of the elevator pings open, and I watch wide-eyed as the two male doctors look up from their iPhones, straight at the two of us.

Watching their eyes widen in surprise while their gaze snaps from William and I's face to the part where our hands are joined only makes me shuffle closer to William awkwardly as we step into the elevator with the two of the doctors.

The ride is awkwardly silent. Thankfully though, when the doors of the elevators open again, the two doctors silently stride of the elevator with only a polite nod at William. I can only hope that they do not have a knack for gossip.

"Are you okay?" I find myself asking William in the newly acquired privacy of the elevator. Tilting my head up towards him, I eye the man standing in front of me — still holding one of my hands firmly in his.

"I think I should be asking you that," William looks at me with a small smile.

He has me there, I don't know what to say except let myself shamelessly blush harder in front of him.

"Detectives," William observes once we're out of the elevator and nearing Saara's room. Contrary to the surprised tone in his voice he doesn't seem surprised at all. I suppose he's used to this coming from a rich family himself.

"Yeah," I shrug though, already feeling irritation at the thought of the guy who was here only an hour ago, calling and demanding authorities to set up tight security since his psycho ex-girlfriend had fled the scene after hitting my innocent cousin.

"Thank you for the hard work," I smile at the one I know to be Inspector Richard.

"I thought you both might be hungry," I mumble, extending the plastic containing snacks and drinks I got them before coming to the hospital to the other man whose name I don't know.

"Oh thank you! You didn't have to, it's our duty!" Richard grins at me brightly, glancing at the plastic and then at me before nodding politely at William.

"If you don't mind, what relation does—" Richard leans forward squinting his eyes at the ID card hanging from William's neck, "— Dr. Noo have to Miss. Malik?"

I feel surprise bubble in my chest when instead of answering questions regarding him like he usually does, William glances down at me, waiting for my answer.