02

One Peaceful Morning
-•-•-
As she steps outside,
still feeling a bit sleepy,
the morning air caresses her skin softly,
greeting her lovingly.
She smiles and takes a deep breath
The scent of roses
Her toes curl in the grass underneath her bare feet
She closes her eyes and just feels
Ah, what a peaceful morning.

The best time to wake up every morning is right before dawn.

The air is the clearest at the time, the morning traffic just begins to sound around the neighbourhood, and the sun is the weakest then.

The time is best to wake, best to go for a run, best to walk around one's garden — waiting to see the sun completely rise. Personally, though, I find this time the best to edit manuscripts. Apart from the air, my head is always the clearest during this time as well.

Every morning I wake up around five, brush and shower before getting on with the editing. By seven I can't read another page to save my life and so I make myself breakfast instead. By eight I stroll around my garden, pulling away inspiration from the green beings before returning inside, to my work.

That's how today finds me again, strolling in the garden, randomly glancing around the morning dew-covered leaves and flowers starting to bloom for the day.

"Gemma! Up very early again dear! Honestly, are you okay?" Mrs Red calls across the fence from her own yard. One glance her way and I know she's just woken up herself. Her rough knot of a silver bun above her head only goes to compliment the woman's sharp features.

"Goodmorning, Magenta!" I call out, waving at her, "No no, everything is fine. I'm an early riser,"

For a minute Magenta just stands there on her porch, quietly contemplating me from the distance, but then she smiles and nods, "I'll believe you! There's a neighbourhood dinner at mine this Sunday evening. I'll expect to see you!"

I grin. I'm never one to pass out on free food, "Of course I'll be there!"

"Good!" Mrs. Red beams, Mr. Red's voice calling her name sounds out in the morning and she immediately turns towards it, turning back in my direction she sends me a wave before rushing inside the house.

I just smile. Standing in my spot as I once again continue to gaze at the flowers, just taking in the clear scent of the morning.

I've never had such noble aspirations. I've never thought of a family outside of the one I was born into. I've never really thought about getting married, having a child of my own and taking care of them more than I take care of myself.

Maybe it was because I had dated so much in high school. A boyfriend. A breakup. A new boyfriend. I was never promiscuous. I suppose that was the problem. I never gave them what they wanted. I suppose I can't blame anyone but myself, being so active in the dating circle, I must have been expected to be sexually active. Maybe that was why my last boyfriend did what he did to me.

At the thought of the boy I hadn't seen since senior year, I begin feeling the same signs of anxiety I always did after the incident had occurred. After the horrible first two years of secretly meeting a counsellor, I thought I was better terms with it, and myself. I guess not.

Quickly I send one last glance towards the plants before walking into the house.

I gave up on dating after that incident. Being twenty-four, it has been seven years now and I've never been happier. I've never been lonelier.

My feet automatically carries me into the kitchen and I eye the electrical water heater for a second before deciding to make myself another hot cup of cocoa. Since today I'm free to edit all day and have no chores to do outside, I can cut myself some slack.