09

One Different Day
-•-•-
She walks through the tall open gates
into a world, she should not belong in
"Such a different day today," the sun beams down at her.
She agrees.

We reach William's home quicker than I thought we would. Having my eyes on the meter all throughout the drive proves to be a good idea because as soon as the cab stops, I quickly hand the driver the fair and screaming a thank you, jump out of the cab and towards the large, closed gates for the house.

I'm not sure if I press the bell at the gate or I very well near destroy it with my index finger as I push it for the second time.

I'm freaking out. I won't lie. The last thing I want today morning is to see Isaac panic just because he thinks his mother has left him again. I don't abandon people. I've never abandoned anyone.

"Oh! Miss, it's you," a sarcastic sounding voice says and I turn towards the speaker with surprise. It's the male help who was sizing me up last night.

"Yes, it's me. Can you please open the gate?" I replied as kindly as I can, deciding to ignore his tone. I really don't have time to ask him why he's upset with me so soon. He's just met me last night after all'!

"Sure," Ren replies, unlocking the gate and dragging it open. Feeling grateful I step inside immediately.

"We just thought that you had run away again," the boy adds bitterly as soon I take a step in.

I'm surprised. The maids think that I'm Isaac's real Mum. The one that abandoned him. Instantly I understand why I'm being treated this way. The help must hate my guts!

"Hurry in then. The son you left again last night is still asleep,"

For a second as I begin to contemplate if I should just tell him the truth, or just let him hate me for the rest of my life in place of someone else.

I sigh.

"I'm sorry. That decision was wrong. Isaac won't be let down this time,"

I nod to myself silently. Yes, that sounds about right. I'm neither lying about assuming William's ex-wife's identity, neither am I lying about anything I am saying. I don't have any intention of letting Isaac down after all.

"Hmph!" Ren makes an expression of snotty dislike, "We'll see."

"Miss! Good morning, Isaac is still asleep," Another woman approaches me as we enter the large house. I remember her from last night, she was one of the women near the bed.

"Hello," I reply softly, taking in her thickly accented English I wonder which part of Asia she is from.

As I begin walking behind her, I take in the way she's dressed. The elegant looking woman is dressed in a knee-length dark blue dress and her slightly graying hair is pinned back carefully away from her face. I can't help but want to treat her with the utmost respect.

"I was just preparing little Isaac's breakfast," she informs me as she continues to lead me towards the kitchen.

In the light of the day, the house looks even more fragile and immaculate. The gray, neutral and golden colour tone sprinkles the sense of fortune and taste into the whole house and I begin to wonder how Isaac feels at home in a house that does not even have a single plant.

Still, I focus on the more important things — deciding that I could always get a plant or two for Isaac's room later.

"Erm, I'm sorry ma'am, I don't think I caught your name?"

The woman lets out a bark of a laughter, "Ma'am? Please! Call me Mary! I'm little Isaac's nan."

"Oh," I felt myself blush, a foolish grin on my face. I should have known the moment she said that she was cooking for Isaac.